Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007
Swabbie

Neises is on a distinguished road
I was also going to suggest starting on a small boat, small enough to cartop & store easily; especially if you have a state park lake with a beach within an hour's drive. Ma & Pa take turns capsizing while the other plays in the sand with the kids.

You'd be way ahead of me doing it this way, we learned in a two-man (no kids) & my wife always said "No, you drive"... My wife is ballast. With an attitude. She likes to sit at the bow & tell me we're not going very fast. I like to tell her she could be replaced with a bag of sand.

Now that we have 'a proper sailing vessel' I can ease her into it. "Here... Pull this" - I love that
Wouldn't trade the small boat experience for lessons on a yacht, but I'm of the stubborn sort.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2007
2kt wind=trolling speed

goose327 is on a distinguished road
"Wouldn't trade the small boat experience for lessons on a yacht, but I'm of the stubborn sort."

Same here Neises. We started with the Sunfish. Had loads of fun with it learning how to make it go where we wanted it to. When I started talking bigger boat she would laugh and tell me I couldn't even get the little one to go half the time, why bother. Now, the Venture is a different story. It has room to move, a place to get out of the weather, and an OUTBOARD. Now we're learning on this one, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Of course, we don't have any long range cruising plans yet. When the time comes we'll probably take some lessons, but for now, hands on, on a small boat is the best way to figure out if we like it.

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?
Old 03-07-2007

ffsmo is on a distinguished road
Well, I dont know if she likes sailing or likes sailing because of me, seeing as neither one has much experience. We both come from a power boat background, mainly wake and ski boats. We both truely enjoy the water, together or seperate, mainly together. So we figured go the lesson route not only to be safe but so we understand what is going on. We both know its not just point the boat and throttle down. We have decided to steer away from the liveaboard school for now and just go with the 101 course and let it sink in. This is definatley not the most economical way to go about it but we figure it is the safest bet(physically and mentally). Thanks for all the great input, we have taken it all in and it has helped alot with our decision. Now all thats left is finding a school that we can agree on. Any ideas? We are about an 75 min outside of san francisco.
Old 03-07-2007
2kt wind=trolling speed

"We are about an 75 min outside of san francisco."

LOL, what time of day?

Old 03-07-2007

Good point, thats at about high noon on a weekend or 2:30 am any other time, if there no construction.
Old 03-07-2007
2kt wind=trolling speed

Heck we're almost neighbors,,LOL. Have you checked around Stockton for schools? I know they have a yacht club.

Old 03-07-2007

I havent checked stockton. Just got back from the sac boat show and there was 2 clubs there, one on folsom and the other in west sac at the port. Got some literature to read up on them. Also saw a macgregor 26 powersail boat. Thing had a 50 hp outboard on it. Salesman said you could pull waterskiers behind it. Not at all what I had in mind but my 4 yr old son loved it.
Old 03-22-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
I would second the idea of doing it separately, but obviously only you know your situation. My wife and I get along best if there isn't any 'teaching' going on in either direction... hehehe.

I took my US Sailing keelboat classes with a nice family, husband, wife and a teenage kid, and I can tell you that the wife learned less than she could have until the second half of classes where the new instructor stepped up and pushed her a bit and told the husband to shut up, sit down 'cause right now the wife was the captain. LOL. The son just kept quiet and learned in the background of all the hubub. Overall it was fun, but as an outside observer I think the wife would have definately learned more on her own.

Besides, doing it on her own is more realistic preparation for being the captain. You both need to be capable of stepping into that role and the more practice you get independent of the other the better IMHO.
Old 03-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One thing I think that most couples who are new to sailng don't think about, even if they are both really into the idea of cruising, is that both of them will often effectively be single-handing the boat when they are out... the other will be sleeping, plotting their position, cooking in the galley, bleeding the fuel lines, whatever... Each really needs to have all the abilities to navigate, sail, dock, reef the sails, and anchor the boat as if they were single handing.

There have been a few horror stories about how the husband fell overboard, and the wife didn't know enough about sailing the boat to do a successful MOB recovery.

That said... when a couple is out sailing... one of the couple should definitely take the responsiblity of being "captain". Sailing a boat by committee is a dangerous and foolish way to do it. They also need to be able to work as a team, as well as independently. IMHO, if they can't do both... the marriage is on its way to being sunk... but that's just me.

As for small boat sailing... I think sailing a dinghy is an excellent thing to do, even if you have no ambition to race them. Dinghies and smaller keelboats, like J/24s are so much more responsive to sail trim, crew position, steering changes, and such, that you really do learn a lot more about how these affect a boat's performance. Crewing on a race boat is also a good thing, especially in light air races. Maximizing the performance of a boat in light air is just as important to the cruising sailor IMHO, as it is to the racing sailor. Being able to tweak a boat and get her moving in five knots of wind could be the difference between firing up the iron genny and ghosting along in splendid silence... It could also be worth a day's time over a longer ocean passage.

Sailing in heavy wind is far easier, in some ways... than light air, which requires far more knowledge of tweaking the boat to get her to perform.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-21-2007

Well she's hooked. We went on a lackluster sail at the oakland boat show yesterday. It was a quick 30 minute sail/ cruise(not much wind,some motor) on a hunter 31. She loved it. Now shes researching schools in the bay area. I think she like club nautique the best. Anyone have any experience with them?