Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Tenuki-

You really do need some gear, as it is legally required to be onboard the boat... An experienced sailor isn't necessary... Flares, PFDs, a horn, and things like that are REQUIRED.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Tenuki-

You really do need some gear, as it is legally required to be onboard the boat... An experienced sailor isn't necessary... Flares, PFDs, a horn, and things like that are REQUIRED.
true true - but I imagine an experienced sailor wouldn't go out without those..
Old 03-21-2007
Swabbie

Neises is on a distinguished road
Red face

Quote:
REQUIRED.
Please don't take this the wrong way, I love reading your posts and have learned much from them. But... There's always a butt. Legal requirements vary from state to state; I'm sure you know this better than I do, but it's a subject I'm currently researching to get my modest boat on the water (safe & legal) in the next few weeks.

In Kentucky the only requirements for a vessel between 16-26' is one PFD per passenger, and a whistle. If a motor is present, you need a fire extinguisher. Nav lights between sunset and sunrise.

Since this is a newbie'ish thread I just wanted to post a redirect. I'm a strong supporter of teaching yourself in protected waters, & understand the gist of what you're getting at.
Old 03-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenuki
true true - but I imagine an experienced sailor wouldn't go out without those..
Did you even read the first post or the thread title???.... where it clearly says "Brand new to sailing"

Neises—

Last I checked the USCG safety requirements applied in all 50 states. The requirements I stated eariler are USCG requirements... and therefore apply in all 50 states if you're on navigable waters, including Kentucky.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-21-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2007
A little less cheek

ianhlnd will become famous soon enough ianhlnd will become famous soon enough
Idiens:
Quote:
Welcome to the world's best sport
And the world's most complicated sport. Let's face it you're on a lake, in a Mac 22, just go do it! Pick nice days with light winds and go. You'll find out what you need as progress. Get a hand held VHF, and use the force, surprising how much of this sailing stuff is just common sense and feeling the water and wind. Don't complicate it too much and you'll enjoy it more.

PS: Back in the 60's I ran into a couple building a Jim Brown Sea runner Tri in Alviso CA. Not a clue how to sail. Said they were on their way to the New Hebrides. I asked if they weren't worried, they said they had a book and they'd learn as they went. I got a letter from them from Vanuatu. Not bad for not knowing a thing about sailing.

Last edited by ianhlnd; 03-22-2007 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-22-2007
Helms ALee!

Quote:
Did you even read the first post or the thread title???.... where it clearly says "Brand new to sailing"

Neises—

Last I checked the USCG safety requirements applied in all 50 states. The requirements I stated eariler are USCG requirements... and therefore apply in all 50 states if you're on navigable waters, including Kentucky.
down dog down.

Ok, you don't like my idea of going sailing with more experienced sailors as a way to learn. Fine. But hey, I still think it's a good idea. No need to be rude, I assure you I read all the fine posts and noticed no-one mentioned inviting a sailor friend along.
Old 03-22-2007
Telstar 28

Tenuki-

Going out with an experienced sailor is a great idea... if you have the proper equipment. I am guessing that JodyKS and her husband wanted to be sailing on their own boat. If you ask an experienced sailor to go out sailing with you on your own boat, it is pretty unlikely that he will bring much of anything, as he/she will probably expect that you have at least the minimal required safety gear.

However, many people who are new to sailing don't have an experienced friend to fall back on, and waiting until one is available means a lot less time out on the water, where they could be sailing, learning, and getting the experience they need.

Also, JodyKS clearly asked what would be necessary for their first time out on the water... and as I said, an experienced sailor is not a necessity or a requirement. Is it a good idea... I would agree it is, as it would cut down the learning curve considerably.

However, Jody and her husband may have just wanted to know what equipment to bring along, as this is the first time they are responsible for the safety of the boat and crew, and legally responsible for supplying the required safety gear.

Finally, if you look, Sailhog did suggest it... as the first response to Jody's post.

Quote:
You might want to have a friend with some sailing experience take a look at your boat and give you some advice. It's going to be hard for anyone online to tell you what you need. Sailing isn't much fun when you're frustrated out of your mind. And the idea is to have fun...
So did Nolatom, a few posts later...

So if you really do read all of the posts... I guess your reading comprehension needs a bit of work...

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-22-2007 at 03:32 AM.
Old 03-22-2007
Helms ALee!

Ok, my hands are up! I surrender. Please don't hurt me.
Old 03-22-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenuki
Ok, my hands are up! I surrender. Please don't hurt me.
LOL... Seriously, if a friend of yours had bought a sailboat for the first time, and asked you to come out sailing with them to show them a few things about the boat... would you be bringing PFDs for everybody, an airhorn, flares, a throwable Type IV PFD, and fire extinguishers?

I don't think so... If you're like most of the sailors I know, you'd show up at the dock with possibly some sunblock, maybe a hat and rigging knife...possibly some gloves..and something to eat and drink, but not much else...

Whether they take an experienced sailor along or not... they're responsible for the required equipment. There were a lot of suggestions, like an anchor and rode, which are very sensible, but not legally required AFAIK. Even on an inland lake, where USCG has no jurisdiction and their federal laws don't apply, the minimum safety gear makes a good deal of sense, and really is worthwhile if you do run into a problem. Far cheaper to have and not need...than to need and not have IMHO.

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-22-2007 at 03:38 AM.
Old 03-22-2007
Helms ALee!

Points taken. I don't disagree.

I was imagining a friend asking me what the OP asked, ie come look at my boat and tell me what gear I need. Misunderstanding, sorry I'm so dense.