Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenuki
Points taken. I don't disagree.

I was imagining a friend asking me what the OP asked, ie come look at my boat and tell me what gear I need. Misunderstanding, sorry I'm so dense.
T-
I don't think your suggestion was a bad one, its just that Dog was addressing the question more directly and yours was more of a general suggestion.

Keep the post comming.

Don't let him discourage you.
Way to go Dog, you scared off another newbie.LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1
T-
I don't think your suggestion was a bad one, its just that Dog was addressing the question more directly and yours was more of a general suggestion.

Keep the post comming.

Don't let him discourage you.
Way to go Dog, you scared off another newbie.LOL
hahah, I ain't afraid of a little virtual barking. dogs don't scare me, cats on the other hand...

My first weekend on my new boat at my new marina I got a visit from the Coast Guard auxillary - a fine and pleasant couple who just happened to be dock mates. They were doing free boat inspections, with the coast guard list and everything except the ticket. It was a great service. I had them come aboard and write it all up. I got a copy and a couple hundred dollars later my boat would pass muster I'm pretty sure except for the nav lights. They're coming by again in April so I have a couple weeks to get those working.

Check the postings, your marina may have a similar service.
Old 03-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The USCGAux is a great group and their Vessel Safety Check program is a good one, especially if you're a newbie to boating and aren't quite sure what is required for where you are. It is far better to have them do a VSC on your vessel than it is for you to get stopped by their brethren, the USCG, and be found not in compliance.

As for Tenuki's suggestion, I was trying to clarify it and make him see that an experienced sailor, while a nice accessory to a first day of sailing, is not a requirement, and really doesn't help meet the required equipment needs. I wasn't trying to scare him off... if I was, I'd use my Junkyard Dog font...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-23-2007

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Start with the mandatory USCG required stuff as listed by sailingdog (only one fire extinguisher is required on a 22' sailboat). An anchor is not USCG required, but it is required by some states. In any case, you should have an adequate anchor, because, if you have a problem, you can anchor the boat, and focus your full attention on solving the problem, instead of sailing the boat.

IMHO), everyone should wear deck or sport shoes on a sailboat at all times. They'll prevent sunburned feet, protect you from stubbed or broken toes, protect you from splinters on the docks, and prevent a slip and fall on an angled or wet deck.

A vhf radio is a good thing to have, and, if it's handheld, you can take it from this boat to your next boat. But, vhf radios are not used much on some of the small inland lakes. If there's nobody else out there with a vhf radio to hear you, it's not much value. Find out what the situation is at your lake before you buy a radio.

I don't recommend that you buy expensive foul weather gear yet. Check the weather before you go to the lake, and, if the weather is going to be bad, don't go. As newbies, you shouldn't be out sailing in foul weather anyway, until you have more experience. If you get caught in an unexpected rainstorm on a small inland lake, you can return to the marina or anchor the boat until it passes over, and you can wait it out in the cabin. Bring a deck of cards, in case you can't think of something else to occupy you.

When packing clothes, think in terms of layering. If it becomes cold, add a layer. Bring sunscreen and a hat with a large brim, to shelter your face from the sun. Bring UV protective sunglasses and a strap to prevent them from falling in the lake.

Join the local sailing club. Get acquainted with the local sailors. Through your own experience and your chats with them, you'll learn what else will add to your safety and enjoyment at your sailing venue. Don't spend a lot of money on optional stuff until you find out whether it will really be useful to you.
Old 03-23-2007
Helms ALee!

I happened to stumble on this link while surfing just now.

http://www.safetyseal.net/GetVSC

Apparently you can schedule a Vessel Safety Check with the USCG Aux there.
Old 03-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sailormon's point about UV-protective sunglasses and sunscreen is a very good one. Your sun exposure on the water is often doubled by the reflected UV that comes off the water.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-23-2007

P8dawg is on a distinguished road
I'll be there.

Jody,
I am also sailing on my own monohull for the first time out of the Ninnescah Yacht Club at Cheney. If you start in May, you won't need any foul weather gear until late September. If you need anything, my name is Peyton and I will be starting the season on the Stiletto 27' called "Mental Floss", in the West yard presently, on mooring #4 during the season. If you would like to go for a sail, just let me know. The most important piece of gear is that P.F.D. It's hard for too much to go wrong if you are wearing it. Oh my goodness, I sound just like my Dad.
Peyton
Old 03-23-2007
Helms ALee!

Remember, at all times you should have a plan A and B for if something goes wrong or breaks. For example, coming into dock under power, what happens if the motor dies? (plan A for me is using my rudder to scull, I have a 24' er and it works just fine in most situations, plan B is the easy to reach boathook, fenders and insurance . ) Same goes for gear, for instance, I have a mounted VHF and a waterproof handheld which I keep in my pocket while sailing. Sames goes for all the other safety equipment. If you have contingency plans figured out in advance it both gives you a peace of mind and, well, a plan.

Your anchor is probably plan A-Z in most situations near to shore. I wouldn't go out without one ready to easily and quickly deploy. Practice anchoring in a safe spot just like you would practice COB drills.

BTW, the auxillary can give you an idea of what the fines would have been when they do your VSC. Scarrrrry!!!
Old 03-23-2007
Telstar 28

BTW, dropping the anchor if something has gone wrong is often a good idea... unless you're in water too deep or a major shipping channel... It gives you time to figure out what you need to do next without as much pressure and can help stop you from making things worse than they already are.

Most of the time, doing stuff in a hurry is a bad idea... taking a few seconds to catch your breath and think about what is going on and what you really need to do is generally more productive than thrashing around and doing stuff in a panic.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-23-2007

P8dawg is on a distinguished road
Most important thing.

Jody,
I almost forgot, you are going to need some water. Right now, that little mud puddle we call "Cheney", is in dire need of some rain upstream. If that lake level doesn't come up, we'll both be needing gas money to go somewhere else. Please help me to pray for rain.
Peyton

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.