Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007
2kt wind=trolling speed

goose327 is on a distinguished road
Four GREAT days on the lake

I got home last night at 1830 after 4 super days out.
I launched Friday around 1500. Took ONLY 3 hours to rig this time and the A-frame was the key. I did have a buddy there for back-up, but basicly did it alone.
Had a decent(4-8kts) wind for about 4 hrs each day and even had a GOOD blow for about an hour on Sunday when my little brother and his brand new bride joined us for the day.
I reefed the main yesterday just to see if I could and it looked OK so I guess I did it right.
I'm still have some trouble holding course sometimes but I'm not sure how to explain it. On a close reach the bow wants to pull the wrong way. I mean PULLS, like don't have a rudder. I tries adjusting the jib, but seems no matter what I do I end up having to do a 360 to get it back.
Some pics:::::::::
Attached Thumbnails
Four GREAT days on the lake-16f1scd.jpg   Four GREAT days on the lake-7332scd.jpg   Four GREAT days on the lake-dcccscd.jpg   Four GREAT days on the lake-img_6082_std.jpg  

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Sail Trim

Dale - Sounds like you may have your main a bit over trimmed giving you extreme 'weather helm' or as you say 'pulling you' into the wind. Slack the mainsheet a bit and see if that helps. Lucky you to be sailing now while us northerners are still freezing
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 03-20-2007

imiloa is on a distinguished road
Mainsail trim

Dale,

Your "pulling" of the rudder (sounds like too much weather helm) might mean your mainsail is over trimmed (pulled in too much). Start with the traveller adjusted so the boom is in the center of the boat while sailing close hauled. Adjust the main sheet until the top batten is parallel to the boom. Now if the tiller is pulling too hard try letting the traveller down a few inches at a time. Wait for the boat to respond - the rudder pressure to ease. Keep going until the is only a slight pull on the rudder. Once the traveller's all the way down, if you still feel too much of a pull ease the main sheet until the rudder feels right. You shouldn't have to reef in 8 knots of wind.

Good luck
Old 03-20-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Very nice Dale, what lake are you on?

Vaya con Dios
Old 03-20-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Goose,
Those are some great pics... looks like you guys had a blast on the lake. As far as directional problems go on that point of sail... What happens when you're close-hauled? I hate to say this, Goose, but one possibility is that you're stern is too far down and your bow too high, which will put your hull out of balance and reduce your ability to point up. Perhaps some weight redistribution is in order. I love ya, Goose, and I'm just trying to help...
Sailhog
Old 03-20-2007
2kt wind=trolling speed

Thanks guys, I didn't even think about the main, I was trying to correct the jib.
BF, that's New Melones, you should come up it's only about 2 1/2-3 hours from the Bay.
imiloa, I know I didn't HAVE to, lol, I've just never done it. Not on this boat or any other. I wanted to make sure I know how before I had to put it to use.

Old 03-20-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like you had a great birthday Dale. Ditto on easing the main for weather helm.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-20-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Thanks Goose, I may take you up on that. Do you have a trailer? Bring your boat down to the Bay sometime! And you are always welcome on Moondance.

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 03-20-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2007
2kt wind=trolling speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriend
Thanks Goose, I may take you up on that. Do you have a trailer? Bring your boat down to the Bay sometime! And you are always welcome on Moondance.
Just holler, your welcome aboard anytime. I would love to have someone on board to show me the tricks.
I'd love to go out with you one of these days, but I won't be ready for the Bay in the Platano for at least a season. I figure, Melones and Don Pedro this year, next year maybe the Delta(Rio Vista-Brannon area) then MAYBE I'll be ready for the big water in the Bay.

Old 03-20-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Guys....his problem is not the over trimmed main....not yet....look at how his mast is rigged...the top of his mast is 4" behing the base, and his spreader is further aft than is should be!!!!

ZZ...we have to something about your mast and your stays...you're mast looks like the mast of a Cat...it needs to be more vertical when you rig it, (not so inclined towards the rear)...your stay sail seems too small, also...

That front stay shouln't be flexed like that...its supposed to be tense.

Nice day sailing....

Now all photos are cool, BUT PLEASE PUT YOUR SHIRT ON....THERE's OTHER PEOPLE HERE....(SEE LAST PHOTO, YUK)

Last edited by Giulietta; 03-20-2007 at 06:18 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.