Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I would second the comment on time on the boat, usually a couple of days at sea is sufficient. Orthomartin is spot on the money.
What you eat is very important. The messman, who recommended a large glass of grapefruit juice to me, on my first trip to sea, is lucky to be alive! It will, if desired, accelerate the process of emptying your stomach. I recommend soup and saltine crackers. Chicken noodle or other low fat soup is good, even for breakfast. Avoid coffee, unfortunately. Tea doesn't seem to have a totally adverse effect as a substitute. Do not, repeat do not, drink milk or other dairy products. These become capable of auto ignition in your stomach and the stench, when they come back up, is horrendous. Try to hurl to leeward and take a bottle of Listerene along as well. You will want to wash your mouth out, don't swallow, as the odor of your vomit will make you feel much worse and will provoke symptoms in others. Not exactly desirable you can imagine. Keep a pocket full of saltines to munch on, keeps the waves moving downward. Stop at the coffee shop on the way and bribe the waitress to give you a bunch of the individually wrapped packets.
Old 03-26-2007

mbechelb is on a distinguished road
Doug, Ginger Capsules

from the vitamin store worked for us. I don't like Ginger snap cookies or anything similar with Ginger so we have been using the capsules for sometime now. In fact a few years ago a TV program called Myth Busters on the Discovery Ch did a test of most motion sickness drugs/herb remedies, etc. and the person being tested found that Ginger worked over all the other things he tried. Being an old Navy Medic (circa Korea), I used Ginger on a number of sailors/troops prone to 'Mal-de-Mar" and it worked on the better part of those subjects.

Mel E
S/V LEHIGH
San Francisco Bay and SJ Delta
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2007
A little less cheek

ianhlnd will become famous soon enough ianhlnd will become famous soon enough
My son, who used to race with me or crew on other boats, always got sea-sick at the beginning of the season which, like sailors everywhere, the crew showed no mercy (knowing it was almost ritual), tempered with the fact that he was a hot-dog racer.

He tried everything, ginger, eating a lot, not eating, greasy food, non-greasy, beer, cola, carbonated water, accu-pressure wrist bands, saltines, bread, dramamine, get the point? Nothing worked, whatever he tried just changed the color of the technicolor yawn.

Moral: If you're gonna get sick, get sick. Stay above decks and concentrate on something other than your misery.
Old 03-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ian-

Your son should race iceboats...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-27-2007

ollie820 is on a distinguished road
I can tell you what has worked for me and what I do not care for. I have used ginger tablets and they can take the edge off. I take it daily in the morning while at anchor and we are bouncing around. I did get sick last year focusing on my chartplotter and trying to help my dog who was overheating in 8-10 footers. Too much detail focus did me in. I now have the Transderm Scop that I use for extended passages. I had a little dry mouth but it was excellent. I had no sense of motion sickness or anything unpleasent at all. Dramamine and Bonine put me to sleep, catatonic sleep.
Old 03-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sturgeron is supposed to be a bit better in terms of side effects than Scop or Dramamine or Bonine, but it isn't available in the US for some reason.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-28-2007
A little less cheek

ianhlnd will become famous soon enough ianhlnd will become famous soon enough
But ya know dog, that scopolomine sounds pretty cool and it doesn't require killing an endangered species. They promised hallucinations and flashbacks with LSD, and I'm still waiting. Maybe when that big blue snake gets off the ceiling I'll have one.

Last edited by ianhlnd; 03-28-2007 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-28-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
SD-
Tried sturgeron twice. For me, it didn't do squat. Didn't give me the dry mouth and photo-sensitive eyes that Scop usually does but heck, how else would I know it was working?
"Wow, lunch smells wonderful, what did you make. Hey, why is everyone running away to the rail?!" (The other way to tell the Scop is working.)
Old 03-28-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
You know you been at sea far to long when you look at the pier through the portlight and comment on how much the pier is moving. Then you know you don't need to worry about sea sickness.
Old 03-29-2007

l0keman is on a distinguished road
Okay, I have had serious motion sickness my whole life. I get deadly sick in cars, planes, boats and even playing video games! The best thing for me is dramamine, you can get it everywhere, every gas station carries it, even. The other thing is these little patches that look like the wart pads, that go behind the ear. dramamine used to make me sleepy, but it hasn't in a few years.

the key is to know what makes it worse or even occur. It's a confusion thing for me... so if I view motion through something stationary, it confuses my inner ear and makes me sick. So if I ride in the back seat, I see the world moving but the car is holding still, soI get very ill. If I ride up front or drive, I never get sick. Becuse I can't see the pillars, I get tunnel vision watching the road. If I read on boat or car I will get very i'll. Going in the bottom of the boat in rough water does too. Staying up top and looking out away from the boat, helps. With motion sickness FRESH AIR is the key to not tossing your lunch monkey. Don't go below or cover your face, you want cold fresh air.

But like I said, you can take a dramamine and do what ever you want and never get sick, just don't sit still too long or yo will get tired.