Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2007

HenkMeuzelaar is on a distinguished road
For those who have tried it all and found other remedies wanting: you may want to inform yourself about the so-called "Paihia bombs", sold by the Paihia Pharmacy, Bay of Islands, New Zealand. (Just Google the many testimonies and the current commercial source if you're interested)

I am dead-serious! My mate and co-skipper of many years used to get too seasick to function properly on our ocean passages. She had tried pretty much everything, including Scopolamine and Stugeron (believe me; there is no such thing as Sturgeron) but to no avail. The she heard from some other boatgals in the S Pacific that they ordered their secret anti-seasickness weapon in Paihia and she got a few to try herself.
Bingo....!! Now she often insists on going below and getting busy in the galley when Rivendel II is bucking so badly that I can only tell her that she must be out of her bloody mind to even think about it.......
Does this mean that it works for everyone? Almost certainly not! For quite a few people, however, it has simply made the difference between being able to become an allweather cruiser or perhaps giving up on the dream.

Have fun!

Flying Dutchman

[Disclaimers: (1) although I happen to be an MD the true proprietary composition of the so-called "Paihia bombs" is unknown to me and I can therefore neither recommend nor discourage its use by anyone on the basis of reliable pharmacological information; (2) I have no financial interest of any kind in this product.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2007

flomaster is on a distinguished road
I've got a cure for you. You may not like it, but a cure it is. This is what you do:

This upcoming 4th of July, sail up to some marina and meet up with a bunch of your sailing friends. Celebrate liberally, and make sure to indulge copiously in the local women and wine (or alcoholic beverage of your choice). Do it all-- sing, dance, and generally have a really good time. Wake up the next day, hung over and dehydrated, kick the landlubbers ashore, and cast off for your home port. Try to plan the whole thing so you have a marginal weather window, too. The seas will start to kick up just a little bit, but nothing you haven't been in before. You can handle it. Once your out of sight of land, it really starts to kick up (if you're lucky the seas will be 12-14 ft every 7 seconds), and you find yourself puking up internal organs you didn't know you had. Oh, and by the way, make sure and singlehand so you don't have help. Once you get back to your home port you'll recover. After that, I'd doubt that you'll ever be seasick again.

Worked for me!
Old 03-31-2007

divesailor is on a distinguished road
take it for what its worth, but mythbusters on TV actually tested known seasickness meds and cures and came up with the following. That most medications pretty much just put you to sleep, while ginger was the only thing that really provided any real relief at all. you might be able to find them online and archive it?
Old 03-31-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Mythbusters.

Much as I love to watch, NASA did that reseach in the 60's and published the same results, including the effectiveness of ginger. Well, perhaps I shouldn't say "the same" results since NASA found some effective meds that don't always put everyone to sleep.

Was listening to a "talking book" yesterday, and I have to ask, does anybody else get really PO'd when people say "Nassau" when the agency calls itself "Nassah" ?
Old 04-10-2007

bucky8008 is on a distinguished road
I used to Get sick all the time on boats as a kid. Then I started takeing ginger before we go out and I havent gotten seasick in 3 years. It might be the ginger it also might be me growing out of getting sic. ??
Old 05-05-2007

emjaybee is on a distinguished road
From an OTC standpoint, in the US, you can try Dramamine (dimenhydrinate). It can make one drowsy. It is also associated with dry mouth and some flushing. It can interact with other depressants, including alcohol.

Scopolamine, adminstered from a patch behind the ear, is available by perscription. It has a similar side effect profile; it shouldn't be used by people with prostate problems.

If those don't work, there are much stronger medicines available. Talk to your doctor.
Old 05-06-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If it is really a problem—there are strong meds like Compazine and Zofran that will take out seasickness...but are prescription only.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-06-2007

georgef is on a distinguished road
eat BANANAS! they have the same taste going down or up!
Old 05-06-2007

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgef
eat BANANAS! they have the same taste going down or up!
Do you re-use them? If they taste the same and you ate it once - you can eat it again.
Old 02-20-2008

mbechelb is on a distinguished road
I alway got mal-de-mar when fishing on charter fishing boats. Last few years sailing on San Francisco Bay, and ocean I tried Ginger capsules from the vitamin shop and it worked every time. I don't like Ginger snap cookies so have to go the capsul route but it works for me. I told a couple crew that I worked with on the 33 Ranger and after they tried them they told me it worked for them also.
Fair Winds
MelBE

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.