Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008

wannabe4 is on a distinguished road
At a recent Mahina Expeditions seminar in Seattle, John Neal covered this topic. He strongly recommends "Emergen-C". If you google their website go the the flashing "Latest News" section on the right side of the page you will find the section on sea sickness. John and Amanda have been working with a physician and claim this method works very well.
Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2008
It's 5 O'clock somewhere

kccollbran is on a distinguished road
Gotta agree with Sailing Dog, most of it just getting used too the motion, good homeopathic remedies I've heard of are not only ginger as mentioned, but baking soda dissolved in water, raw cider vinegar about a shot glass full, and of course heaving your guts out over the side sometimes helps.

I think for some people it is also psychological, my mother-in-law for example, she convinces herself she is going to get sick. One time, as an experiment, we took her along with my kids in slanted maze, I told before going in that people often get sick in this maze, as in seasick. Now there was no claim of any kind for this, it was just something I made up; and sure 'nuff, she went running out of there to the head.

Again, as Sailing Dog mentioned, what you eat and how you prepare has a lot to do with it.
Old 03-21-2008

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I don't know about the cure, but I recently found out the cause in a book:

Quote:
Watching a fellow sailor being sick over the rail, a colleague remarked "No wonder you're seasick, your stomach is full of puke!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"good homeopathic remedies I've heard of are not only ginger as mentioned,"
Oh does that hurt. Ginger is not homeopathy. A homeopathic remedy typically means "dunk the ginger in this water, dilute it a millionfold, now drink some and the water molecules will resonate with the memory of the ginger, even though there's none actually in it any more."

That's why many of us rank homeopathy one step BELOW Voodoo.

Ginger is an old traditional remedy, call it a folk remedy if you want, call it an herbal remedy, just don't call it Voodoo with the "H"word, please. Ginger also has been scientifically tested and confirmed to work by known and repeatable actions in the body--unlike Homeopathic remedies.
Old 03-21-2008
CapnTony

CapnTony is on a distinguished road
Many years ago an old crew boat captain told me he always drank dill pickle juice to stop from getting sick while on the stand-by buoy. He swore by it, and was old as dirt and had been working the Gulf for 40+ years. Can't say I've ever had to resort to cures, and I've been in some nasty stuff...just one of the lucky ones, but I always carry dill pickles...just in case.
Old 03-21-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Argh, that'd be Captain Clausen, well known for his evil sense of humour and clever marketing of the family's pickle products. Not allowed to practice medicine in any of the NATO countries though.
Old 03-21-2008
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
just the visual alone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
I used to suffer from sea sickness all the time... However one day when underway - in rough seas standing watch with the others - someone brought in some chocolate..naturally having not had dinner I nibbled at it piece by piece...drinking coffee until the queasiness got the better of me - I couldn't leave station so I barfed into my coffee cup...having done so - of course the riles from fellow shipmates...

The only way to shut them up - I drank the regurgitated remains in my coffee cup after five minutes of listening to the jives....that shut them up (two left station because they couldn't handle it) and from that moment forward - never again got queasy or sick at sea ...sometimes it can be more mental than physical I guess...

Another technique that works is putting a band aide or taping a cottonball right below the ear...it puts pressure on the nerves that are related to balance from the ear and helps some maintain ....

never been seasick..seen countless others get 'green' though...
hearing someone else 'york' makes me quesy..and the thought of regurg..ewwwwww
however..if it works..well it works..
it is what it is...

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Old 03-21-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
While pregnant, my wife swore by the remedial success dill pickles had over morning sickness. Although we've never gotten seasick, I never thought dill pickles would have the same affect on mal de mer.
Old 03-21-2008
Skipper

Tangleberry is on a distinguished road
Transderm-V

Transderm-V is a scopalamine patch applied behind the ear.

I never get sick, but my wife does. The Transderm works perfectly for her once we discovered the secret. Cut the patch in half and only use half. This gives you enough of the drug to stop seasickness but not so much as to cause side effects.

Maybe the standard dose (a whole patch) is OK if you are a large person, but for my 110 lb. wife, it was way too much.

Apply the day before leaving. It lasts for several days, and by then she usually has her sea legs.
Old 03-21-2008

Wings33 is on a distinguished road
I hate to keep saying this because I sound like a broken record. But, I swear by Gookinaid's Vitalyte. It doesn't sit in your stomach and acts like an IV would act. I don't suffer from motion/seasickness a lot, but my mom has extreme motion sickness and when she came to visit us on the boat she drank it everyday and it did help with the queasiness. On a side note, I drank it during my tumor treatments and it was the only thing I could keep down which didn't make me nauseous! I also ate a lot of Saltines and bread. Hope that helps! Here's the website, Vitalyte : Home or you can buy it at REI which is where I get it. As far as the Saltines go, try the low sodium ones they seem to work better for me.

Last edited by Wings33; 03-21-2008 at 02:19 PM.