Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2008
It's 5 O'clock somewhere

kccollbran is on a distinguished road
I like the dill pickle idea, goes back to the vinegar.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2008

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
I was on a small hi-res survey boat in the GOM once looking for a sunken boat, and we had a couple of the clients people on board who got sick. The cook had each of them take a tablespoon of the clear Karo corn syrup, and both of them were up and about shortly thereafter. Then he gave them some saltine crackers to chew on. They were at dinner that night.

I have suggested it to other people several times over the years, telling the story about how I watched it work that time, and they have reported similar results. I don't know if its the heavy, sweet nature of the syrup, or psychological if told it's a cure, but I have seen it work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Saltine crackers are often good at doing the trick since they tend to neutralize the acid in the stomach and put some mass in there to help settle it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-21-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
A good article on the subject...[The Causes of Seasickness part 1]

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 03-21-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Tangleberry-
FWIW, you're not supposed to cut the patches. If you do, they leak on the cut and can become less reliable. In order to adjust the dosage, you are better off putting a piece of foil/plastic/etc. under half of the patch, so it only makes 1/2 contact on your skin.
You can also get scope as "Scopace" pill form, which allows the dosage to be adjusted very easily, and kicks in faster especially if you allow it to dissolve under your tongue. (Goes to the blood supply very quickly.)
Interestingly I asked my doctor and my pharmacist about dosage versus body mass--and neither found any information about that. They suggested it is targeted for the brain, and since all brains are about the same size, that body mass might not matter much. (I still think dosage depends somewhat more on individual tolerance and response, so there's room for tailoring, just like with most meds.)
Old 03-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, the cut edge will generally give a much higher dose rate than the uncut part of the patch.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-22-2008

Jim H is on a distinguished road
I rather liked this thread about sea sickness at ybw--

Yachting and Boating World forums: What is the best for preventing sea sickness?

In particular, there are posts from someone who was part of seasickness tests in the 1970s. It's interesting that he thought himself relatively immune to seasickness until he was made violently ill by sitting in a static chair for 10 minutes-- the cause of the reaction was simply a moving projected horizon image on a hemispheric screen around him.

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

Old 03-22-2008

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
JimH - I can believe that description about the method they used in the tests. The first time I did a jet simulator it was in an actual cockpit that was stationary, but surrounded by display screens (old CRT crappy resolution ones as well). I had over 2000 hours in planes at that time and was an aerobatics instructor so I was pretty cocky about being able to handle a military jet sim. They started me off at FL 300 and within 120 seconds I was about to lose my lunch from vertigo but fortunately I crashed the darned thing and that let my senses settle down again

So far I've not gotten seasick but I have a deep-rooted fear of getting incapacitated while alone on the boat. On one crossing I felt close to getting sick and had a couple of ginger cookies that worked really well.

Old 03-22-2008

ScuzzMonkey is on a distinguished road
I haven't seen this mentioned in the thread yet, forgive me if I'm repeating someone though...

Just had some friends get back from Mexico, where they had gone out for a day fishing on the ocean in an open panga boat. One of the wives, after a couple hours in the swells, got seasick, and the guide quickly sliced up a lime and had her sniff it. She perked right up and didn't have any problems for the rest of the day.

I'd never heard of anyone sniffing limes before but thought I would throw it in the pot, both to see if anyone else has heard that one and for the more adventurous to try and report back.
Old 03-23-2008
Cosmo Lean

paulvalles is on a distinguished road
We were two days out from Cape May enroute to Portugal when we received a Mayday from another sailboat heading to NY from the Bahamas. The skipper had a crew member who was unconscious from dehydration caused be seasickness. We relayed the Mayday to a container ship that passed us earlier that morning. They turned around and picked up the crewmember.
I'm not prone to seasickness, but on this trip I was sick five times. The worst case came when we were past the Azores where the gulf stream hits the European continental shelf as we passed thru a storm crossing our course. I felt like a water bug in a Maytag. I couldn't keep 7up or crackers down. I was beyond the prevention stage. I was seriously sick for several days. My skipper tried an old Cruising Club of America cure called Gatorade. This is not a commercial. I think any sports drink high in potassium to keep the heart going is worth a try. I started drinking just a shot glass full and progressed from there until I recovered after the storm passed.
Fwiw I think my first bout of mal de mar was psychological. Once I realized the boat wasn''t going to sink after the first gale I was okay. The strobe light later in the voyage was another cause. Everything in the boat got damp after awhile and the moisture caused the battery to give off a rotten egg smell. After I got rid of it I was fine until we were off Portugal.