Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
If you are just learning to use the genoa, and if your boat has a knotmeter (speedometer) then the easiest thing to start with is to go out on the water when the winds are not very strong. You will need a crewperson to help. Set the mainsail traveller car so that it is in the dead center of the boat and adjust your mainsheet so that the boat is sailing with very little heel, as close to the wind as you can get.

At this point it doesn't matter where your genoa car is (as long as the genoa is up and the genoa sheet is going through the block (pulley) on the genoa car). Start moving your car back and forth and look at your knotmeter to see what effect it has on your boat speed, also note what it does to your angle of heel, and how close your boat can sail into the wind. Don't adjust the mainsail at all, and have your crew maintain as steady a course as possible. Use your genoa to control your boat.

Then tack - without touching the mainsail - and experiment again on the other leg. Giu has explained the theory of it for you. Print his post and take it with you so that you can understand how it affects your boat. You may find a slight difference in adjustment is required between port and starboard depending on how true your keel is, how much weight there is on either side of your boat, and how evenly tuned your rigging is. Then again - you might not notice anything for a few years

Keep practising in various types of wind and water conditions. You will be surprised at how quickly you start to develop a feel for your boat. Expect to find a difference between the two Genoas, as the difference in size changes the location of the center of effort on the boat. Enjoy

Last edited by Sailormann; 03-31-2007 at 01:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2007

skrap1r0n is on a distinguished road
my boat has absolutely no instrumentation yet, fun, I know.

At any rate, my cars lock into the rail with a springloaded plunger, so I cannot really adjust it on the fly, I have to set one when the opposite sheet is loaded. I can see the advantage of having them adjustable while loaded, and I may seriously consider something like that when I replace my running rigging and organize my lines, if it's worth it on a 25 footer.
Old 03-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're going to race the 25' footer... yes, it is definitely worth it. If you're just going to cruise and day sail... maybe not worth the extra cost... Usually it can be retro-fit to the existing rails, by buying new genoa sliding cars and the block and tackle for the rail... but not always. In the case of a retrofit, it isn't all that expensive a move usually.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-31-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Giu-

Do you have the white line marked for the different positions for the genoa at various reef points or for various sized headsails.
SD I have different sails so marking the line is not possible. I have the track marked with numbers, and a scale, that's what we use for reference.

Scarp. "coverting" the point by point genoa traveler to a adjustable one is easy and not so expensive.

You'll needtimes 2 off course)

1)a track stop (that you may already have, if you do just glue a rubber bumper to absrob the shock when the traveler comes aft
2) A track horizontal bolck or you can bolt a regular foot block, in front of the track
3) a line
4)jaw cleat
5) 1 hour of your time and time to remove the locker pin on traveler

That's all

Last edited by Giulietta; 03-31-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-31-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Adjustable cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrap1r0n
... any rate, my cars lock into the rail with a springloaded plunger, so I cannot really adjust it on the fly, I have to set one when the opposite sheet is loaded. I can see the advantage of having them adjustable while loaded, and I may seriously consider something like that when I replace my running rigging and organize my lines, if it's worth it on a 25 footer.
The ability to adjust the car under load is only of value for hard core racing, you can change the setting under sail simply by a brief luff up whichunloads the sheet...
If you want to improve the performance of your boat, get the car off the rail and onto a inner track to provide a closer sheeting angle. Such an angle will allow your boat to sail 3 or 4 degress closer to the wind, and provide a remarkable improvement in VMG (speed up wind). some race boats have adjustable cars, some don't, but NOBODY races with the genoa trimmed to the rail.
Old 03-31-2007

I have a rail with the car on it. I will get some pics today and post them of the set up
Old 04-02-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Giulietta I'm drooling over your boat and traveling genny cars.

No-one's mentioned that your head sail and main work together yet, just to make matters more complicated... ;P To see this play around as sailorman mentioned, but then once you have a handle on it start adjusting the main as well , experimenting with different traveler positions, etc. Watch the genny change shape...

I personally find the Annapolis book of Seamanship's section on sail trim (chapter 3) to be a good basic introduction.

An excellent exercise in general is to learn to sail your boat 'rudderless'. Lash it to the center of the boat and use just your sail trim to steer. Try to sail someplace complicated this way.

Ok, now you will be busy all summer just sailing in circles. hahahahaha.
Old 04-02-2007
Helms ALee!

everyone is gonna poop on me for saying this, but if the winds are light just hand the tiller to someone reliable and go up there sit or laydown and wank on the sheet right near the clew to check out all sorts of things.

I've been sailing catalina 25s a lot the last few years and they are nice little boats, I found the bigger head sail was required though. Do you have the tall rig? What are the prevailing conditions where you sail?
Old 04-02-2007
Helms ALee!

also, if you don't have a knotmeter installed just bring along a handheld GPS to check your speed. You'll 'need' one anyway to race (apparent speed/direction vs true speed/direction and distant waypoints, etc).
Old 04-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenuki
everyone is gonna poop on me for saying this, but if the winds are light just hand the tiller to someone reliable and go up there sit or laydown and wank on the sheet right near the clew to check out all sorts of things.

I've been sailing catalina 25s a lot the last few years and they are nice little boats, I found the bigger head sail was required though. Do you have the tall rig? What are the prevailing conditions where you sail?
No, I have the standard rig. I would like to have the tall rig and use the standard main on it so I could raise my boom and install a bimini. (I would also like to run my lines inside the mast, but a new spar isn't in the books anytime soon.)

Interestingly enough, I just picked up a Garmin Etrx Legend C this weekend. I justifie it in that it will work for both the non existent compass and the non existent knotmeter that my boat came with. I can also use it on my motorcycle, and in the car. Nice unit actually.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.