Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2002

marsh025 is on a distinguished road
Sailing only for retirees?

Hey sailors, Please help me out with a question. Most of the stories I read about are of people who either retired or have some sort of pension/ settlement or lots of money who cut the ties with the land lubbers and went to live on their boat. My question is, Can a young guy who has not much in terms of a savings except for money to buy a used 30 footer or so and am relatively new to sailing be successful in becoming a member of a liveaboard sailing community and still work on a daily basis or at least parts of the year? I plan to do this in Florida. I want to do this within the next few months. Any info from people who have experienced this would be most helpful to me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

A lot of this depends on what you do for a living and how comfortable you want to be. I did this for a little while when I was in College. I had bought an old boat, fixed her up and basically camped aboard. I worked in boat yards and also parking cars evenings and weekends when I need a little extra cash. I pretty easily covered my expenses. I drove an old junker automobile and did a lot of my own work. It all worked quite well.

I anchored out in the ''pirates'' off of Dinner Key which was a popular but not terribly protected anchorage. I did not have an engine and so rowed my Folkboat in and tied to the seawall with the dinghies just like many a non-powered boats of that era. I am sure its is all a lot more regulated today.

Jeff
Old 01-22-2002

EtherCat is on a distinguished road

Can you do it? Yes... Is it easy? well...

Im 33, and in the process of restoring a 32'' which I hope to be living aboard by this summer - Ive been working toward this for 3 years (the major obstacle being paying off student loans at the same time)

My first experience with cruising was to sail a 22'' MacGregor down the ICW, and along the way I met many people in their 20s and 30s who were living aboard, sailing from place to place, and working when they needed to... Ive found it helps to have skills that are easy to find work with - rigging, bartender/waiter, mechanic, stuff like that

Once the initial expense of buying and refitting the boat is taken care of, actually living aboard is much cheaper than living on land, especially if you anchor out; I kept a fairly good standard of living for 4 months aboard for less than $100 a week.

Its going to take a major change in your lifestyle, esp the total lack of living/storage space, and everything you do will have to be done with thoughts of ''how will this affect the whole sailing thing?''

The book Sensible Cruising, by Don Casey and Lew Hackler, was written for people like you (and me) - its a way to approach a cruising lifestyle if you dont have unlimited money

Good luck and fair winds... and go for it!
Old 01-22-2002

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road

Ahoy ,Marsh025 ,avast ther laddie yees can make wots the king ye is with a lifestyle like that. Be sure better to put ye coin in a fine plastic sailing trim than the female kind thats for sure. Aye ye got the right idea five fathoms ought to do ye iffn you ain''t havin more two two of three wenches aboard for yer pleasure. Haven''t to much a care what ye get so long as she''s sound and these warm waters is begging for the like of fine new recruits. Tis plenty of work for the able seamen in the towns and villages to finance your sea life to be sure. Why wot was when I was a wee ittle Pirate the sea took hold of me and held me to her bossum for life. Tis no kinder way to live. As far as them communites do''t yee be fretting the sea''s the place where all is welcome and accepted for what you make of you self. Mark me words though there be storms brewing and plenty of hard work to keep ye dream alive so sharpen ye cutlass and tis better to die a young Pirate than an old salesman or architect or some useless trade. Cast off wit ye now me Rum is calling an the winds come up a point. Big Red 56 the Pirate of Pine Island.
Old 01-25-2002

marsh025 is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to say thanks to all who responded to my "sailing for retirees" question.You guys all sounded very encouraging and have strenghtened my resolve to make this lifestyle change happen. I know that I can do it! With friendly, knowledgeable people like you all around I know that I have a vast knowledge resource available. Jeff H., You''re awesome!! Big Red, well, you''re something else, and I do respect your wisdom and listen to your words with great interest. Thanks!! EtherCat, It''s good to know that someone like you have attempted the same thing and have been successful in doing it. The jobs suggestion also helps.
I guess I''ll be looking forward to meeting you guys some day.
marsh025
Old 01-25-2002

Youre quite welcome... although I havent been successful *yet*, Im getting closer every day... and I look forward to a time when I can set sail and actually meet all the people who have written here (remembering, of course, to strike my colours when approaching Pine Island; wouldnt want BigRed to think I was invading)
Old 01-26-2002

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road

Ahoy EtherCat, tis wise counsel ye give tis better to strike ye colors than be forced to drop ye drawers in defeat. AARRHH Big Red the Pirate
Old 01-26-2002

And thats a sight ye''d not be wantin to see!
Itd be a difficult task ye''d be placin on me, tryin to walk the plank with de drawers around de feet!