Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2007

sailingguy123 is on a distinguished road
Optimum Winch and Traveler Position for Single-Handing

I am currently looking at the Elan Impression 384 and and the Grand Soleil 37 and noticed that the genoa winches are in two different places on each boat. In the Elan, they are positioned almost even with the steering wheel while in the GS 37, they are much further forward, maybe 5 feet ahead of the wheel. What is the reason for the different winch positions and which makes it easier to sail single-handed? I am guessing that it would be the one with the winch closer to the steering wheel but please let me know if I am wrong.

Also, what about the traveler location? Having it behind the wheel makes it a hassle to get in and out of the cockpit but having it within reach certainly seems like it would make it easier to make adjustments. Is this a big issue for solo sailing?

On a final note, the Elan has a roof-mounted travel and the closer winches while the GS 37 has the traveler right behind the wheel, but the winches are further forward. If you had to pick one configuration for solo sailing, which is better and why?

Thanks for all your help.
Sailingguy123
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sailingguy-

If you are single handing, you are likely to have the autopilot steering, and most modern autopilots can do an "auto-tack" of about 100 degrees or so. If that is the case, the Elan sounds like the better setup, since the mainsheet and genoa sheets are relatively close to each other. Generally, when you're tacking, you don't have to do much with the mainsheet, so its position is somewhat less critical IMHO.

It sounds like the Elan's setup is probably going to work better, and having the traveler up on the cabin top makes getting in and out of the cockpit much simpler.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-04-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Sailingguy

What GS are you looking at, the new generation or the 2000 generation?

What you're saying about end boom arrangment and "getting in and out" is absolutely nonsense...don't worry about it.Trust me.

I have end boom arragment, and what you do when you solo, even if your auto pilot quits, is swap the genoa sheets and main sheets, so that you now have the main controlled by forward winches and control the genoa with the aft ones...simple...
If you have these questions, at this stage, may then this boat is not for you.

The reason why the Elan and GS have diferent winch positions is due to what Customer they are trying to appeal, the GS is a much much faster boat, that is set up with what is known as Admirals type main sheet control, its oriented towards faster sailing, and oriented towards racing and owners that want to sail fast and enter cruiser races..its what is used in cruiser/racers, beacuse the boat is fast deserves a proper sail control.

The Elan is oriented towards a cruiser customer..different sail control concepts...there is no possible comaprison..mixing the elan with the GS is sacrilege.

Nevertheless I like the end boom...others may like cabin top control.

I'm trying to upload a drwaing I made for you but the server does not allow me to open Photoshop. EDIT CAM...HERE THEY ARE:

Last edited by Giulietta; 04-04-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-04-2007

I am looking at the newer models (2004-2007). I thought the aft winches were always used for trimming the genoa. Am I wrong?
Old 04-04-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Giu-

You can always e-mail it to me to post... I have a few webservers I can use.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-04-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Guys...problems with posting pictures normally. I put them in the Gallery under my name for Giu.
Old 04-04-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
sailingguy

I see your confusion

Lets see the different winch arrangments

1) ELAN has 4 winches, 2 winches on top of cabin, 2 in cockpit. The cabin ones is one for halyards, one for main ,and the 2 in the cockpit for the genoa.

2) GS older models have 4 winches, 2 in cabin for halyards, outhauls etc, 2 in the cockpit for the genoa, main is controlled by purchase near the end of the boom
3) The newer GS have 6 winches, 2 in cabin for halyards, outhauls etc, 2 in the cockpit for the genoa (forward) and 2 in cockpit rear for main control in the Admirals system. I have that system in my boat.

HERE IS THE DRAWING I COULD NOT POST THAT SHOW HOw to single hand with 6 winch system like I have

http://www.sailnet.com/photogallery/...0/limit/recent

Clear??

Last edited by Giulietta; 04-04-2007 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-04-2007

Does having the extra set of winches for the main make it easier to control than having a purchase? Are the winches necessary for larger sails that require more power to handle than can be done with a purchase? I am a bit confused. Thanks for your patience Giuletta.
Old 04-04-2007

Sail...

Really it depends...on race boats yes...there is faster boom moves, the winches normally are two speed allowing fine trim, and allow better control by a main man. Its just a more practical solution with less effort, and mainly a speed reason. Also and a big also...it allows the main control from either side of the boat, as the main sheet is a continuous loop. So In fact, while sitting at my wheel on the high side I have both sails controls near me..as I tack, I move to the other side...and BINGO...same sail controls there!!!! clever, huh??

The purchase system is normally used on smaller boats, altough some large racing boats also have it with a larger purchase for course trim, and a smaller purchase in series for fine trim. I don't like it...takes a lot of speed from it.

In a boat like the GS...it really is not that important...you are not racing..just sailing fast...
its pretty good too...you will not sit right behind the whell, like on a Formosa...you'll be sitting on the side...enjoying balcony view, sheet at your feet!!!

I would love to make you a drwaing, but have work to do, and my IP does not allow photobucket access..I'll try tonight at the Hotel
Old 04-04-2007

Ok...here is the drwaing I wanted to show you. This is my setup, and can be the GS's too, if you specify it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.