SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Silly newbie question...

4K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  P8dawg 
#1 ·
I've noticed a bunch of boats that I've looked at are "MK II" what exactly does that mean?

#4 ·
In some cases the changes are rather drastic, in others, the changes are relatively minor and cosmetic in nature. It pays to dig a bit deeper and find what the exact differences are.

#5 ·
You are probably looking at a Catalina boat. The MkII or MkIII designations are used when the boat undergoes a large design change. For example, my "MkII" boat has a walk thru transom whereas the original design did not. These boats still utilize the same hull mold and conform to the existing class rules for the boat.

#7 ·
thomaskennedy said:
it's actually a contest MkII. Not a Cat. those seem rather "slapped together." I haven't been able to find a lot of info about it.
Ooooooh... I can't wait 'til CD sees this.

#9 ·
sailaway21 said:
He's still smarting over the Dufour thread, where they mentioned every boat of the last thirty years worth sailing, with the notable exception of......
Too true... too true...

#14 ·
thomaskennedy said:
Wow. That was below the belt. You can't hold John John and uncle Ted against me. :rolleyes:

SD: Sorry if I offended you. I had a 27' Cat on my short list until I found something I liked better.

Bestfriend: what youtube videos are you referring to?
Didn't offend me at all... probably offended CD a bit though.... I have no connection with Catalina... don't even own one... :D

#16 ·
Thomas,

You did not offend me at all.... looking back at my thread, it sounded like I might have been offended. Besides, you see all the rationing of crap I put up with here!! You will have to get in line to dish it out!!

- CD

PS On a serious note: As long as you are not crossing oceans, Catalina is a great boat. I would not take one across the Pacific (though people have), but I would not take a Valiant to the islands... so a place to each. Find a boat that touches your heart. That way, when it touches your wallet (or grabs ahold) it won't hurt so much!!!

#17 ·
CD's Postscript is excellent advice.. Don't buy a boat you don't love...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.