Sailing Primer - Page 2 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 04-23-2007
ReverendMike's Avatar
Mostly Harmless
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: S. Central MO
Posts: 885
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
And i'll second Looking, are we going to duel now?

The OP did ask for feedback, and he did say this was to be for newbies. Just 'cuz we know it all doesn't mean SD's comments were too nitpicky (and don't you wonder about someone who calls a shroud a sidestay and then writes a 'primer'?)
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old 04-23-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 91
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 11
equitiman is on a distinguished road
Huh? I didn't think they were nitpicky at all. They were all good edits that would enhance your guide without adding too much volume or complexity. It would take you less than 15 minutes to make half of those edits and then your guide would be that much better...

Bob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old 04-23-2007
Looking's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 96
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
Looking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendMike
(and don't you wonder about someone who calls a shroud a sidestay and then writes a 'primer'?)
Got curious about the 'sidestay' reference... thought I had heard it before. A quick Google revealed this PDF (sorry Neises). Apparently Quantum calls it a sidestay as well. Curious.
__________________
"It isn't that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better."
Sir Francis Drake
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old 04-23-2007
Looking's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 96
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
Looking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by equitiman
Huh? I didn't think they were nitpicky at all. They were all good edits that would enhance your guide without adding too much volume or complexity. It would take you less than 15 minutes to make half of those edits and then your guide would be that much better...

Bob
Hang on... hang on. I didn't say "nitpicky" I said a "bit picky". It is meant to be a 'primer' after all. Does a newbie need to know that you can anchor without the engine? No... let's get them out there and having fun before we freak them out with too much minutia. I'm sure you agree, that once they are hooked, they will have plenty of time for the finer points.

I knew a guy so eager to get his wife sailing that he took her out in 'less than idea conditions'. Should have picked a nice gentle day with sun and very little heeling. Scared the hell out of her and now she won't go back!
__________________
"It isn't that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better."
Sir Francis Drake
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old 04-23-2007
sailingdog's Avatar
Telstar 28
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,291
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 13
sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guesser
Sailingdog, maybe you should write your own manual, the first chapter could be titled: "I Think I'm an Expert on Everything".
I never claimed to be an expert... that's an assumption you're making...

He asked for feedback, so while I was at lunch, I took a bit of time to look it over and give him some reasonable feedback. If you have a problem with it... I don't see you contributing any knowledge...and generally see you taking snide potshots at people who are genuinely trying to help—that's your choice and your problem.

Of course, the reality of it is that you probably need the primer and don't know enough to make any insightful or useful comments on it...

Looking-

My point was that some of the smaller sailboats don't have engines, but if you're out daysailing on them... you might want an anchor aboard... and might need to use it. My friend's cat boat doesn't have an engine, and she's out in it quite a bit....anchored out most weekends, and doesn't have to use an engine for anchoring out, then again, she doesn't have a choice.... since she doesn't have an engine.
__________________
Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 04-23-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old 04-23-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 91
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 11
equitiman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking
Hang on... hang on. I didn't say "nitpicky" I said a "bit picky". It is meant to be a 'primer' after all. Does a newbie need to know that you can anchor without the engine? No... let's get them out there and having fun before we freak them out with too much minutia. I'm sure you agree, that once they are hooked, they will have plenty of time for the finer points.
Ooops my bad. Your point is fair enough though...although I still think that some of the feedback was suggestions and some was corrections of outright errors. Oh well, it is the OPs primer...he can do whatever he wants...I'll just read it in conjunction with SDs "supplementary addendum"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old 04-23-2007
Guesser's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 95
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
Guesser is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
I never claimed to be an expert... that's an assumption you're making...

He asked for feedback, so while I was at lunch, I took a bit of time to look it over and give him some reasonable feedback. If you have a problem with it... I don't see you contributing any knowledge...and generally see you taking snide potshots at people who are genuinely trying to help—that's your choice and your problem.

Of course, the reality of it is that you probably need the primer and don't know enough to make any insightful or useful comments on it...

It's not really about you being an expert or not; it has more to do with how tired I am already of your 18.5 posts per day. It might be different if you had real boat, instead of little catboat, but I guess some people just don't know their place.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old 04-23-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
SeanConnett is on a distinguished road
Keeping in mind who the target audience is, guests and new crew, the "Primer" is a nice place to start them. The suggested edits though would help it be better. It's better to start newbies on the right foot, and parts of the boat is that start. Getting more people comfortable and excited about sailing and boating in general is so important for us to keep the industry strong. Anything that we can do to help bring more knowledgable people to our business or past-time, the better.
Thanks Nick.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #19  
Old 04-23-2007
camaraderie's Avatar
moderate?
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: East Coast
Posts: 13,878
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 15
camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Guesser...if you're tired of reading you can use the ignore feature rather than engaging in sophmoric baiting which does nothing to further civility on the board.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #20  
Old 04-23-2007
Looking's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 96
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
Looking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Looking-

My point was that some of the smaller sailboats don't have engines, but if you're out daysailing on them... you might want an anchor aboard... and might need to use it. My friend's cat boat doesn't have an engine, and she's out in it quite a bit....anchored out most weekends, and doesn't have to use an engine for anchoring out, then again, she doesn't have a choice.... since she doesn't have an engine.
Your right. Point taken. I've actually done it myself a couple of times... backwinding the jib and sailing backwards is a little tricky but a fun exercise.
__________________
"It isn't that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better."
Sir Francis Drake
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising Multihull Sail Trim Kevin Jeffrey Buying a Boat Articles 0 10-05-2004 08:00 PM
Optimist Sailing—A Growing Concern Carol Bareuther Racing Articles 0 07-15-2002 08:00 PM
Single-Handed Sailing John Kretschmer Her Sailnet Articles 0 10-19-1999 08:00 PM
Pure and Simple Sailing Micca Hutchins Buying a Boat Articles 0 11-09-1998 07:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:39 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012