Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007

carsonmcwhirter is on a distinguished road
Smile anyone interested in a possible apprentice?

i'm totally new to sailing. i know almost nothing but i have always had this desire to learn and eventually sail the world. i'm a 26yo male. i've been a touring musician for about 5 years so i'm somewhat used to travling for long periods of time in confined spaces. i just want to encourage my inner-adventurer in a peaceful way. sailing seems like it could be the most freeing way of traveling the world and eventually of living in general. if anyone has any advice and suggestions on how to begin my journey please respond. it will be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2007

Kernix is on a distinguished road
Where do you live?

Just join a sailing club. They'll teach you the basics. Once you've been on a few trips, have hung around marinas and chatted with people to learn the ropes so to speak - then buy a used 12-16' sailboat for $1000 or so - that's like saving $100 a month for more or less a year. Practice on that and gradually learn and later buy bigger.

That's what I'm planning on doing - I'll go on at least 3 weekend trips this year - 1st one this weekend - 2 of the trips are for beginners. In the meantime I'm reading anything\everything on sailing and the sea - fiction, non-fiction, sailnet forums, etc. I think that this time next spring (or late fall '07) I'll buy a small sailboat for a $1000 or so - single-sail, enough room for me to sit in - spend '08 sailing, capsizing, and sailing some more after I've righted the boat.

Do that for '08 & '09 while still going on trips with the local sailing club learning more and more as I go. Then by the end of '09 selling my small boat for a $1000 or so - more if I spend time fixing it up - and with money saved from now till then - buy maybe a older Pearson 26 for $5000-$8000. Use that to practice single-handling a larger boat plus it has the capability to sleep on for overnight trips.

Repeat - in 2012 sell the Pearson 26 for $5000-8000 or more after fixing it up, and upgrade to maybe a Catalina 30 for $18,000-25K - might need to buy one on the cheaper end needing some work and spend all my free time over the course of a year making repairs.

And so on and so on until I can afford a boat big\sturdy enough for blue water passages.

But it all starts this weekend and when I buy that old little Sunfish or Laser.

Last edited by Kernix; 04-24-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-24-2007

carsonmcwhirter is on a distinguished road
Smile good advice

i live in sacramento, ca right now so i've been looking into sailing clubs in the bay area. i'll probably join one within the next few weeks. i'm also looking into buying a small boat like you suggested. i'm getting excited about the possibilities. i've been reading up on stuff a lot too which makes me realize i could really enjoy this and be good at it.
Old 04-24-2007
2kt wind=trolling speed

goose327 is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard carson. I live just down the road from you.
My advice is about the same as Kernix', read, ask, read more. Buy a boat, there's usually a few on Craigslist in that area, and head over to Folsom. You can get alot of fun and experience out of a $1K vessel. I bought a Sunfish 5-6 years ago for 150 bucks and had a ball learning on it. It took all of about 5 minutes to make her go where I wanted her to, very easy boat to learn on. Now I have a Venture 23 and ask LOTS of dumb questions, but these guys are always happy to help.

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?
Old 04-25-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose327
Welcome aboard carson. I live just down the road from you.
My advice is about the same as Kernix', read, ask, read more. Buy a boat, there's usually a few on Craigslist in that area, and head over to Folsom. You can get alot of fun and experience out of a $1K vessel. I bought a Sunfish 5-6 years ago for 150 bucks and had a ball learning on it. It took all of about 5 minutes to make her go where I wanted her to, very easy boat to learn on. Now I have a Venture 23 and ask LOTS of dumb questions, but these guys are always happy to help.
Hey goose,

$150 bucks - what size and how old was it. The bigger issue for me is where to keep it and how much that will cost. I small boat I probably could have trailered or even put on the roof of my 4 door Honda accord. I used to do the samw with my dad's canoe which I'd say is at least 10' but I think longer.

But alas - I moved to a different section of the city and bam - someone stole my car - my uncle had one for sale that day and I bought it but it's a small 2 door Nissan Pulsar which could not trailer anything.
Old 04-25-2007

skrap1r0n is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard! It took me close to 10 years before I was able to get my first boat. I will tell you what, I never joined a sailing club, but I wish I had, I could have gotten more time. As it is, I am still learning, but having a ball doing it.
Old 04-25-2007
2kt wind=trolling speed

goose327 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernix
Hey goose,

$150 bucks - what size and how old was it. The bigger issue for me is where to keep it and how much that will cost. I small boat I probably could have trailered or even put on the roof of my 4 door Honda accord. I used to do the samw with my dad's canoe which I'd say is at least 10' but I think longer.

But alas - I moved to a different section of the city and bam - someone stole my car - my uncle had one for sale that day and I bought it but it's a small 2 door Nissan Pulsar which could not trailer anything.
It's a '74(same year as my Venture), 14', lateen rigged, one("they" say two)person boat. I hauled it home in the back of my pick-up, but it's on a trailer now.
Keep your eyes open for little sailboats laying around in yards. Chances are, one that's been sitting for awhile would gladly be passed on at a good price.
Sunfish Sailboat Parts & Accessories
Sunfish aren't the only small boats, there was a FlyingJ on Craigslist a few weeks ago for 400 bucks, you just have to keep your eyes peeled.
Like Skrap1ron said, if you have a club nearby, join, hang out, look at all the boats, talk to the folks, EVERY sailor likes to talk about their boat.

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Last edited by goose327; 04-25-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-25-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose327
It's a '74(same year as my Venture), 14', lateen rigged, one("they" say two)person boat. I hauled it home in the back of my pick-up, but it's on a trailer now.
Keep your eyes open for little sailboats laying around in yards. Chances are, one that's been sitting for awhile would gladly be passed on at a good price.
Sunfish Sailboat Parts & Accessories
Sunfish aren't the only small boats, there was a FlyingJ on Craigslist a few weeks ago for 400 bucks, you just have to keep your eyes peeled.
Like Skrap1ron said, if you have a club nearby, join, hang out, look at all the boats, talk to the folks, EVERY sailor likes to talk about their boat.
I have a club nearby but they are a land based club - no boats there - all trips are with chartered boats. ASAP I'll go down to Jersey and Chesapeake Bay marinas.

Where do you keep yours?

So I guess I have to buy a pickup truck.
Old 04-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Craigslist also lists a lot of smaller sailboats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-01-2007
NewPirate

JadedDolphin is on a distinguished road
Learning to Sail

I too am new to sailing and did alot of research before buying a Seafarer22. One great thing I did was locate the United States Power Squadron you can google them in your area or contact the coast guard they know all about them as most squadron members are former coast guard. Next check out the courses they offer, I took a six week charting course, one night a week from a great teacher and sailor and the cost was $21 for everything including the book and teach, they offer lots of courses and the classes are filled with new sailors like you. Also I now hang out at the marina bar in Alexandria, Va., and there are lots of guys looking for crew members because they have big sailboats.

The JadedDolphin

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.