SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   What''s the best book on sailing for beginners (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/3188-whats-best-book-sailing-beginners.html)

pagese7en 01-30-2002 05:48 AM

What''''s the best book on sailing for beginners

What is your opinion on the best sailing book for beginners that covers all areas, or at least most. For example, not only actual sailing but navigation, safety, weather, etc.

wwilson 01-30-2002 08:54 AM

Get the "Annapolis Book of Seamanship", 3rd ed. By John Rousmaniere. It covers the full spectrum of sailing and seamanship and is very readable.

wlw

EtherCat 01-30-2002 10:44 AM

Sailing for Dummies was the most helpful to me... it doesnt get terribly technical, but explains the basics well enough that the more technical books made much more sense.

paulk 01-30-2002 04:48 PM

US Sailing (www.USSailing.org) has good materials on navigation, piloting, weather and safety. They are up-to date, straightforward and well done.

Jeff_H 01-31-2002 01:57 AM

Steve Colgate''s wife''s (Sorry I can''t recall her name) book which is called ''Sailing for Women'' or something like that seems to be one of the best learning to sail books out there at the moment. Steve Colgate''s book on the subject is quite good as well. So is Gary Jobson''s book on learning to sail.

Jeff

DuaneIsing 01-31-2002 02:13 AM

Poor Doris Colgate is so soon forgotten ;)

My wife thought her book was fabulous for understanding the basics. I also agree that the "Annapolis Book of Seamanship" is great.

I''m really only a newbie in many respects, but I have to say that of the dozen books I have on sailing instruction, each one excels in some particular area of explanation.

bporter 01-31-2002 11:07 AM

Annapolis is great and thorough, but huge and very detailed.

"The Compleat Sailor" is one I''ve recommended to a few friends with success (loaned out too, or I''d tell you the author). It is by no means exhaustive like Annapolis or Chapman''s, but it has some pretty clear and basic info on the fundamental concepts.

BigRed56 02-01-2002 07:01 AM

Ahoy beginner the best book is strangly enough written by me it is entitled "How to swim for beginning sailors" By the Pirate of Pine Island.

dhartdallas 02-01-2002 01:22 PM

Bob Bond''s, The Handbook of Sailing, is also excellent. I consider The Annapolis Book of Seamanship to be the anchor of any sailing library. Steve Colgate''s books are very good. And US Sailing''s Certification Series - Basic Keelboat, Basis Cruising, and Bareboat Cruising - are very good for beginners. Best is the seat of your britches on the windward rail of a dinghy.

evecircleM 02-01-2002 03:33 PM

please let us not forget chapmans book. It has to be one of the very best.