Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2007

miraccav is on a distinguished road
I took a week-long course with Blue Water Sailing School out of Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. It cost me about $1500, but included living expenses for the week aboard a 41foot Benetau. Two other students and I, with a very experienced Capitan, cruised from Ft. Lauderdale to Key Largo ... Sweet!

We all qualified for the ASA 101, 102 and 103 courses.

I recommend you try this route. As a novice to sailing, it gave me an invaluable introduction to the language of sailing, the importance of safety afloat, the names of the parts of the boat and how they all worked together...oh, and especially, how to get your crew to work together to have a great sail.

Last edited by miraccav; 05-11-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2007

baitball is on a distinguished road
Cool OH WOW I MIGHT GET SUNK Its

I'm real new here and don't know much, but I know I really like this sight. Ya'll seem really friendly, duty bound to help, and incredibly good source of knowledge. Butt kissing done now.
I don't belong to a yacht club, probably never will. Why knot make this a big ole UNofficial yakit club that is willing to throw a line online and at the boat yard. Maybe a sticker or somethin'.
I'd be willing to ride for an hr or two to look at something or ride a while on another boat or meet for a help session. I know Iknow. You give help, you give help, but cant ever get any when it comes to La bore, but hell whats the difference between someone with their hull on the rocks and someone in their backyard dreaming about being the catalyst for a feeding freenzy?
I need info. Not going to lie. I'm here to get all the free advice I can get because its the beginings of a divorce justs from what I'm spending on the boat its self(not saying she's not shikkled wittless bout goin' sailin'), BUT, lessons are expensive.
I'm not going to say that I want a big commune of sailors, just a way to see each other and say" hey sailnetter, whats up"
I don't know. What are ya'lls thoughts.
Old 05-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Baitball-

Do you have a boat yet???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-12-2007

Ya man they just have this adiction to dirt man. Not completely new, just haven't found the impeller on ether one. I'm dont mean to be out of line, but thats my point. I dont have a clue lookin for help and if I can lend it Hell man I'm in. Just tell me to shut up if I'm doing wrong by asking but I'm just that kind of fella. Throw it out there and see what happens. At least I'm being honest, I bought two wrecks, going to rigg them or tie them or something. I want to know what to do when I've gotten into to much weather, and my little 9.9 merc cant take it. Sorry if I offended
Old 05-15-2007

GlenDC is on a distinguished road
Buy a junk boat

Baitball
You're right. Buy a boat this is what I did too.

I took several classes like capsizing classes, $90 for 2 hours. Out of 2 hours, one hour I was watching like some fatty tried to swim 8 feet from the stern to the center board to pull it down after two instructors capsized the boat. I took $350/14 hr "weekend bootcamp" class. Nice ladies came to socialize and I spent with them and the instructor 4 hrs in the marina cafe over beer and pizza. A lot of told very interesting stories (charities they do, grandsons they have, poluted environment, dishonest politicians). Then two hours of slow rigging. Then 10 min docking each in between bathroom brakes. Then written tests - everybody passed! Then it was over. Got a little red book, congratulation - you're a sailor.

I do not take any sailing classes ever since. All you need is online USCG safety course (my state, check yours).

My friend runs signmaking shop he made me a few T-shirts "crew available" and "will crew for beer". I put my T and go to the doc. That really works and it's free. But before you have to learn the basic knotts (with one hand!). Google the Internet and practice.
Old 05-19-2007

Question Marinade well

I might need to go take capsizing class. Took little Oday 12 to the juice today for a test run if you will. Dagger down, useing a sunfish sail with a bit of a mast "extension" to get down in the fitting in the bow and the boom over my very ducked down head, I made her move. It wasn't pretty of course. I ran a line to the eye in the center of the sunfish boom through the pulley for the sheet on the 12. For the sake of stupidity I'm going to call that the vang ala' redneck. Tryed to sheet her by a line on the end of boom, my back will be better tomorrow I'm sure.
Paddled out, turned her bow just a little off weather, raised sail, pulled in the "sheet" and started out. OK just lost V. Lets try this tacking stuff. I turned on in to the wind and stalled, plop. gust of wind. Cough cough.
Ya YA, I was setting there looking at sail thinking this tacking stuff should be easy,why didn't I turn and grab wind and go. Then I did, and it healed me hard and I went in.
We are in very shallow water and I just flipped her up and rerigged her. More smart now. Started on a run, and brought it to a reach, tacked through a run and all was well. When I turned back to weather and tryed to tack through it, sail came in to amidships alright and then,bam, almost tossed me in after it luffted.
Man this can't be right. I know Iknow Oday boat with Sunfish sail, not right but I had to see. Will this catastophic FLINGING JIB be a little better when my mast of original design gets here
Old 05-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... at least you're out there and giving it a shot.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.