Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2002

mattyc is on a distinguished road
Bow or Stern?

I am just going for my Skippers license and was wondering if you could settle or at least shed some light on the following issue. When going into a marina berth or when navigating around marinas is it best to go Bow first or best to go Stern first? I have heard many arguments either way and m not sure. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Bow or Stern?

There is no one right answer here. It very much depends on the boat and the docking situation. Fin keel/spade rudder boats will often be more precisely manueverable in reverse even though you don''t have water from the prop flowing over the blade of the rudder. But there are situatuations where only one or the other will work.

Regards,
Jeff
Old 02-08-2002

JEFryar is on a distinguished road
Bow or Stern?

My s/y is slightly underpowered with the prop in front of rudder. This arrangement gives good forward maneuvering even at low speed because the rudder is deflecting the flow of water generated by the prop. It is quite a different story in reverse. I need to have enough water flow past the rudder so that it will be effective. Also because the prop is much more effective in forward than it is in reverse, stopping is much easier utilizing forward.
In any situation with a following current or brisk wind I feel I have more control in forward. I simply match the forces of wind and current and bring back the throttle ever so slightly to "back" into the slip. With a small amount of forward I can stop or hold position.
Going into current and or wind I would do the opposite. The key for me is keeping my bow into wind and current.
To answer this question on a vessel you need to know the characteristics of the particular vessel. This is what the question is trying to get you to express. Good luck on the test.JEF
Old 02-24-2002

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
Bow or Stern?

Ahoy Mattyc, Iffin ye was goin for yer Pirates License I''d say always bow first cause yer bowsprit is an effective weapon in close quarters. Since ye aint'' and your question is sillier than a captain''s license on a bridge wot''s skipper prefers to turn his arse into the wind(?) when he obviously don''t know the pointy end of the vessel goes first for a reason. Stay out of my waters ye backward beach comber.Big Red 56 the Pirate of Pine Island.
Old 03-22-2002

KIKO is on a distinguished road
Bow or Stern?

I preffer stern since my transom is open and therefore entering and exiting is easier.
But that''s not why I choose this option.Wind is my factor in choice.

I allways try to point to the wind.
Old 03-24-2002

SHIMSHON is on a distinguished road
Bow or Stern?

It really depends on the manuvering characteristics of your boat as well as current, wind direction etc. Remember, when stern to, you are also exposing yourself to all those board walkers and giving up a lot of privacy
Old 05-14-2002

harvh is on a distinguished road
Bow or Stern?

From a safety stand point, go in bow first. In the area that I sail, people that want to be social go stern in, those who want privacy go in bow first. I have from time to time gone stern in when we wanted to watch a 4th of July fire works display. In all cases I had lots of room to get lined up. I have also seen some real disasters as sail boats don''t respond as quickly in reverse.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.