SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Wing to Wing How? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/32826-wing-wing-how.html)

1970Columbia34 05-23-2007 02:58 PM

Wing to Wing How?

As most of you know I am new at this sailing stuff well with a cruising boat at least. We don't have a spiniker to use. We do have a wisker pole (but have no clue how to use it) I have done some past reading but might be even more confused now. When sailing down wind how do we make this work, do you use a preventer and if so how do you rig a preventer? Any help would be great and pictures or diagrams of this would be even better. Thanks

Scott

Giulietta 05-23-2007 03:00 PM

are you joking???:D :D :D

1970Columbia34 05-23-2007 03:03 PM

no not at all I did post this under learn to sail right??? sorry everyone has to learn at some point, do you feel my question is dumb?

Giulietta 05-23-2007 03:06 PM

I am sorry I thought you were joking..sorry...

Sailing downwind wing to wing is easy, you start by getting your main open, so that the genoa is on the opposite side.

You then rig your pole on the genoa and into the mast, and keep the pole horizontal with the up haul. Movinh pole up and down changes curvature on genoa, so experiment.

Then you go on your main sail boom and attach it with a line or a dedicated preventer, (SD has one that is made by some company give me some time to locate the thread), to a solid point forward of the mast, on the side the boom is. This line needs to be ran to the cockpit for emergency release.

see here

and here

and here

Boom brake here

edited:

1970 sorry in the first link I made a mistake and had a photo instead of the link Its good now

1970Columbia34 05-23-2007 04:52 PM

I will check the pole out but I know for sure its a telescoping one and want to say its a forespar, but can't promise.

Scott

sailhog 05-23-2007 05:31 PM

You'll need a mast ring, which will allow you to attach the whisker pole to the mast.
Sailhog

Whampoa 05-23-2007 06:24 PM

Scott, after numerous unsuccessful attempts to put a few pictures here, I added an album in the gallery under Whampoa called "Wing & Wing" with a few photos of using a pole to wing out the jib in a wing & wing mode. These were taken in the last few weeks during a month long sail with and old friend on his 33' cutter. We also flew the spinnaker and used the pole while doing so but as you mentioned not having a spinnaker, I thought these might be of interest.

Regards, John

Giulietta 05-23-2007 06:26 PM

Whampoa follow these steps

Whampoa 05-23-2007 06:43 PM

Thanks for the link Giulietta, I did a search on the forum but failed to locate that one. I suspect most online photo services can be substituted for the one in CD's note.

Regards, John

sailingdog 05-23-2007 07:13 PM

BTW, the thing Giu was talking about was a Dutchman Boom Brake, which helps prevent the boom from killing you in an accidental gybe. ;) You can see more about them here.