Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2007

canucklehead is on a distinguished road
Another noobie

Hello all,

Let me start off by thanking everybody for the vast amounts of info I've gleaned by lurking the past year on Sailnet and I thoroughly enjoy the AFOC members BS.
I'm a semi-retired flatlander from the prairies of Alberta, Canada who as a kid had the opportunity to go on numerous sailings with friends. I absolutely loved it and have never forgotten the feelings of what could be experienced on water with just the wind. So much so, that I continually receive ribbing from my stinkpot peers for not joining their clan. I dunno, call me frugal, but I always knew that one day I would buy the "right type" of boat to fulfill my lifelong dream.
That time is near, with children finishing post secondary education and with my wife retiring in about 5 years, I've been encouraged by her to prepare for the next step of our lives.
That next step is a membership in the local lake yachting club so that we both receive the correct instruction on the mechanics and terminology of proper sailing, followed by ISPA/ASA competent crew/basic sailing accreditation this September in the Pacific Northwest. We'll continue with further instruction and experiences so that eventually we'll be in a position to bareboat charter and confirm that my dream could be our dream before we purchase "the boat". (your selling about 5 years to early Cam)
So, please bear with me and my stupid questions and let me know if there's a more sane method to my madness.
P.S.- Good Luck Valiente and tommyt, I'm envious
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Welcome aboard! Right way? The right way is the way you feel most comfortable with and gives you the confidence to move forward. It's different for each person. Check over, if you haven't already, the "Recommended Reading List" and read as much as pertains to your situation. You could also look into crewing opportunities locally. Good luck, hope you live your dream.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook