Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2007

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Locking the wheel when leaving a boat at a mooring...

When leaving a boat at a mooring, should the wheel be locked or restricted in any way? Thanks in advance for all opinions on this one... (can't find anything anywhere that says I should, but want to ask just the same)
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
No real need to do that, unless you're worried about the rudder slamming around. Some people I know take the wheel off the pedestal to make more room in the cockpit, but I don't think that's necessary, especially if you're not going to be on the boat.

Restricting or locking the wheel could present problems if the mooring breaks free or you need to have someone secure your boat due to heavy weather coming in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-03-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
While many steering pedestals have inbuilt locking mechanisms these always seem to seize up fairly early in life and are a complete mongrel to get working again. This is particularly the case where the mechanism is a small wheel rather than a lever.

Me, I hate having the rudder crashing around on the mooring so I just use a piece of shockcord around the binnacle and through a couple of spokes. Leaves a bit of play and you have to watch the cord for chafe but it does work pretty well.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 06-04-2007
On Blocks

Bermuda30 is on a distinguished road
I tie the tiller off to the side, as it gives a little more room and I've been awakened by rudder slamming around before.
Old 06-04-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Securing the wheel makes sense for the above named reasons. Locking the wheel makes zero sense. As the dog was alluding, it is not out of the realm of possibility that you, or someone else, may have to board the boat to perhaps even save her, and need to use the wheel. A lock will do nothing to impede determined theives and everything to defeat a quick manoeuver by someone without the keys to the lock. Line or shock cord.
Old 06-04-2007

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21
Securing the wheel makes sense for the above named reasons. Locking the wheel makes zero sense. As the dog was alluding, it is not out of the realm of possibility that you, or someone else, may have to board the boat to perhaps even save her, and need to use the wheel. A lock will do nothing to impede determined theives and everything to defeat a quick manoeuver by someone without the keys to the lock. Line or shock cord.
On a couple occasions, I've come to the boat after having been away for a week to discover that the motion of the rudder/wheel has loosened the wheel nut (on two occasions I found it on the cockpit sole). There's a bushing inboard of the wheel nut (also on the cockpit sole in the forementioned situations). I only tighten it with my hand, but putting a wrench on it would likely help (I'm nervous about overtightening it).

A shockcord will help reduce the motion -- my use of the word 'lock' was a poor one as I'm sure at least one person envisioned something like the Club.

I'm fairly new to this board but have learned a lot and have received a lot of good advice from people such as yourself. Thanks (to you and other posters) for making this such a valuable resource.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 06-04-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLucas
I'm nervous about overtightening it.
Hey, I can't even undo mine, its so overtight I'm afraid of busting something.
Old 06-04-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
The manufacturer probably has a torque wrench setting (in foot-pounds or newtons) for the wheel shaft lock nut. Borrow a torque wrench and tighten it properly, please. The "hand tight" thing is not acceptable for such a critical piece of equipment. I was at dock a couple of years ago and a 37' race boat was leaving their dock to head to winter storage. They took a turn and their wheel came right off the shaft because the nut had been loose and they had used the wheel a fair bit backing out of their slip. Despite hitting full reverse (remember, it's a race boat with a folding prop...not fast reaction time), they hit my port stern quarter at nearly 4 knots.

And people ask why I keep fore and aft springs on in fair weather...

Their stem bent up my stern rail, creased the fibreglass and sliced a cast aluminum extrusion clean in half. They were gentlemen about the cost, but it could be easily avoided.

Another sailor in the club this spring couldn't find the hub nut during launch. She had to steer by pressing the wheel onto the shaft with her belly...probably not confidence-inspiring.

I have no idea why wheel hub nuts aren't like the older type of spreader nut, with a hole through them and the shaft that lines up and through which some sort of spring-loaded clevis pin can be pushed.

Other than that little rant, I agree with the "bungees are your friends" sentiment.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.