SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Licensing? among other things....

4K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Is a "drivers license" required to pilot a sailboat? i know there are ASA courses but do you get licensed? or can any idiot (see SpeedoApe) get a boat and get hairy in a Harbor?
SpeedoApe

p/s not related questions but dont want to flood the boards....
1) I am still unsure of how electricity runs on a sailboat? Can you have a small fridge and dvd player (creature comforts) on a live aboard sailboat? or is it all igloo coolers and crackers?
2) where can i find the texas laws for sailing? i want to start off informed and not get in any trouble for going off and doing something stupid....
thanks,
S.A.

#4 · (Edited)
USCGRET's right, you'd need a Coast Guard Operator's license only if you were carrying passengers of freight for hire. So yes, any "idiot" can go out and try to sail.

Texas boating regs summary here:TPWD: Boating - Water Safety Digest

On small cruisers, you'll just have one or several batteries, so you're on 12 volts. This will power lights and instruments, but not a fridge, so it's icebox city. If you're large enough to have a generator, then you can have fridge and AC. Or you might have a shore power connection so you can have them at the marina at least.

You can take classes and get a USSA or ASA certificate, which may be a good idea and may help convince someone else to let you charter their boat without a skipper. But these are private certificates, not required by law.

#5 ·
Your more than welcome.

1) I am still unsure of how electricity runs on a sailboat? Can you have a small fridge and dvd player (creature comforts) on a live aboard sailboat? or is it all igloo coolers and crackers?

You can pretty much have what ever you want depending on how big your boat is and how many of the expensive "Deep Cycle" batteries you want to buy and maintain. They'll have to be kept charged, which can be done when at the dock or underway using wind or solar power.

#7 ·
However, some states are moving towards licensing boaters, much in the same way drivers are licensed. However, the state licensing and USCG licensing would still be separate and a USCG license would still be required if you carry passengers for hire.

Electricity on most larger cruising sailboats is handled via a house bank of batteries. The batteries are charged by one of several means: an alternator running off the boat's engine, solar panels, a wind generator, a seperate generator, or via an AC connection when at the dock.

You can have a small refrigerator, DVD player, stereo, etc. on a sailboat.

Unless you are boating only on an inland lake, I would highly recommend you get a copy of the International and Inland Regulations for Avoiding Collision at Sea or COLREGS. BTW, generally a good idea to have them aboard in any case, and required by law in the US for boats over a certain size.

While there may be state-specific laws, the COLREGS will cover you and give you a good idea of most of what is necessary for safe boating.

#8 ·
Speedo... on a live aboard sailboat you can have just about anything you want. If you are plugged in at a dock while living aboard...there is really no limit as to what you can have since it is just like home and whatever DC powered stuff you have (like cabin lights) will be powered from your batteries which will in turn be charged by a built in charger running off A/C dock power.
In Texas...you will also probably need an air conditioner for living aboard and this is definitely a dock powered device.

If you are living aboard at anchor on the boat...you must have sufficient batteries to run the stuff you really need AND a way to charge those batteries back up as they run down. There are EXTENSIVE threads here on sizing battery banks and recharging and solar and wind power so you can slog through those and ask questions as you have more time.

Have fun!

#10 ·
However, some states are moving towards licensing boaters, much in the same way drivers are licensed.

This is very true. I believe many states now require it if you're under a certain age. But that is not new, as I had to do it in Ney York state back in 1962!

But the overall (operator) licensing of everyone has been considered as far back as the 70's. Personally I think it's a great idea and don't know what the hold up is. It would be a good way to hold operators more accountable for their actions!!

#12 ·
And just one point of clarification - you can have a fridge and freezer without a generator. I have two "4D" batteries (plus a third battery dedicated for starting the engine). In addition to the GPS, chartplotter, instruments, lights, fans, autopilot, VHF, stereo, and one or two laptops, it powers both a fridge and a freezer. The batteries are 12volt DC, so everything you get has to be able to support that - but there's a large boating supply industry and you can get pretty much anything you want in a 12volt version. When at a marina or dock, you can usually connect "shore power" to your boat. This means you bring in a higher amperage (30amp, 50amp, or other) AC connection to your boat which can then power your regular 120v AC electrical outlets and charge your batteries (with the appropriate equipment on board). You can also buy an inverter which will convert the DC output of your batteries to AC power
and allow you to use those AC outlets without being connected to shore power. If you need to power larger devices (70" plasma screen?) or air conditioning, you can buy a generator, but now you're talking a lot of bucks...

#14 ·
Your boat / trailer should be registered at your state MVA. No "driver license" but you might (and should) to take USCG class (free). As a skipper you will be responsible for your crew safety. Buy some good books and pass USCG or state safety exam. It's online and cheap ($15 in MD).

#15 ·
In Maryland, if you were born after 1972 you have to take a test administerd by the DNR. It costs about $15 to take. The content of the test is very general, and had ALOT of PWC(jetski) questions on it. Once you pass, it's good for life. The funny thing about it is, I know pleanty of complete idiots that were born before 1972. Since when is age an indication of intelligence? I know what you oldies are grumbling right now about wisdom coming with age and all that. However, you must admit that you too know a bunch of old idiots. Anyway, so yes, depending on the state and it's particular laws you may need a "License to Boat". Check the laws in the state you live in.

#16 ·
1. The National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) test , with the exception of some basic rules of the road, is a collection of pretty useless knowledge. (BTW, aren't you glad that such an association of bureaucrats exists?) The one I took actually claimed that the exam certificate was a necessary piece of safety gear! It is heavy on PWCs and I did learn that an inboard-outdrive is really a stern drive. That one item alone has probably already saved me from some awful fate.

2. No test or course will ever make everyone safe. The requirement is just another tax.

3. Contrary to assertions already made in this thread, there are as many idiots in any age group as in any other, but at least the infirmities of age tend to reduce the danger from the older set.

#18 ·
Sorry for the confusion, I did not mean to single out older idiots as the only idiots. Yes, there are many idiots belonging to every age group/ generation. I was only trying to point out that the requirement in Md. is based off of age. Just saying that because you were born before 72 doesn't mean you were born with inherent boating knowledge/skill. Yes you MAY have gained the boating experience through the years, but thats not always so.
Also, regarding the "tax" of this type of reguirement. The state only makes $15 per test/ oer boaters lifetime. The real money comes in when they find you out there boating without your papers and they fine the hell out of you. Now I feel more safe than ever!

#20 ·
Licensing

I will start my classes in about 2 weeks for USS certification. Unless someone was born into it, I can't imagine getting out into the SF Bay with a "sailing for dummies book"

Yes I am excited:D
Yes I it is mid-life crisis:eek:
Yes I do realize that a new wife might be cheaper than learning how to sail, but not near as much fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.