Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C
He said he wanted a small trailerable boat, not a briefcase. How many small trailerable boats do you know that are good to learn on, safe in many sea states, and can sail a ways away from the beach? He was asking about how far off shore he could go. I'm not sure a Sunfish is going to fit the bill.
He was mentioning a Walker Bay sailing dinghy...

If he want's something fairly capable, but small... the West Wight Potter is an excellent choice. Another good one would be a Compac SunCat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2007
Poltergeist

poltergeist is on a distinguished road
As you can see from responses so far, there are myriad choices in small sailboats. A bit more information would help narrow your search ...

How many people will you want to accommodate?
Where will you be sailing?
Do you want comfort/simplicity or performance?
Do you want a small cabin for gear and a potty?
How much do you want to spend?

Kurt
Old 06-07-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
He was mentioning a Walker Bay sailing dinghy...

If he want's something fairly capable, but small... the West Wight Potter is an excellent choice. Another good one would be a Compac SunCat.
Another good choice!!!

I just get concerned when someone is just learning to sail and looking at something like a WalkerBay and asking questions like, "How far offshore can I go?" I just have a red light go off telling me we need to be talking about more boat.

As I'm sure you know, I like to error on the side of conservatism. When in doubt go for slightly more seaworthy than you think you need.
Old 06-07-2007

SpeedoApe is on a distinguished road
ok, i was looking at the walkers because of price and simplicity. i asked about how far off shore because i would totally bone head it and head out to far.
here are some questions asked. and i am picking up sailing for dummies this sat at barnes and nobles! thanks all!

How many people will you want to accommodate? 2. 3 tops
Where will you be sailing?galveston. bay and coast.
Do you want comfort/simplicity or performance? comfort! simplicity. total new guy here!
Do you want a small cabin for gear and a potty?would be nice, but dont want to spend alot. lookoing to do this next spring.
How much do you want to spend? couple grand. would want to look at used.
Old 06-07-2007
Poltergeist

poltergeist is on a distinguished road
Give the answers to "needs" questions, I'd look for an used Albacore or something like an O'Day Javelin or Day Sailor. All are easy to trailer, and for a couple of grand, you could take a cooler, two people and yourself. You'd have both a main and a jib, so you'd be learning skills that translate to larger boats, and you'd have more room to stretch out. The Walker you are looking at is essentially a yacht tender (think rowboat) with a small sail added. You'd have your knees in your nose most of the time. Do a Google on the three I've mentioned above (they will probably lead you to other ideas, too), and then take a look at Craig's list, eBay and so forth. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Daysailer would be a very good option.

Oday Daysailer specs, photos, and reviews
Old 06-22-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Well, aiming for a purchase next Spring, if I were you, I would start watching the Houston Craigslist boat section:
houston boats classifieds - craigslist
often, starting in the Fall. I don't want to over generalize, but one problem with Craigslist is that you often have to make snap decisions to get the better deals. In the Fall and Winter, boats tend to sell slower and it can give you more time to look into it before jumping on it. But even if it doesn't, I know I learn better researching a real potential purchase than a theoretical one. Maybe you see a Daysailer at a given price and you look into whether it would work for you, what's included and whether it's a good value. You decide it is and reply only to find out it's gone. But then the next time one shows up, you can probably decide quickly if it is worth pursuing. An because you started in the Fall, you have time for "next times" and you can wait for the better deals.
Old 06-22-2007

capt.stu is on a distinguished road
Smile

I have a walker bay with the sail option. It is a fun little boat to fool around in. It is not a great sailboat. Doesn't point at all! More for fun or get to a close shore with.
try looking for a used Flying Scot. 19 ft, stable, seats four comfortably, fun to sail or race. lots for "sail" on FSSA site.
Old 06-22-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
My old Venture 21 is a great little daysailor and if ya need a few more amenities, the older Mac 26D or S with the swing keel work well too.
Old 07-19-2007

dodgeboatguy is on a distinguished road
glad to hear someone mention the macgregor I sail a 1979 222 I bought for 2500 in very nice shape but there are many out there under 2000 that are more than seaworthy for galveston bay as for the 26 it might be more than you want to trailer with a small jeep my dodge dakota v6 does ok with my 22 but I dont think it would like me much if I went to a 26. they are great boats though and mine only draws about 16" keel up. you will also get the benifit if learning how to sail with a jib