Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Giu-

You really need to learn to draw better...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
How'd we get back on to winches? We'd just got the topic turned on to wenches.(g)
Old 06-18-2007

saurav16 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to saurav16
Gui,

I understand how to pull in a sheet by pulling on them with my hands. The wind was blowing to hard to pull the sheet in further so I tried the handle.

You seem rather tempermental in your posts lately, perhaps you need a vacation, or just take the danforth anchor out of your @$$.
Old 06-18-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente
I'd heard Australian dating practices were primitive, but if you have to lash them down, they probably aren't your type of wench.
Unless they want to be tied down. Ms Wombat is sometimes fit to be tied but I fear that is not the same thing.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 06-18-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurav16
Gui,

I understand how to pull in a sheet by pulling on them with my hands. The wind was blowing to hard to pull the sheet in further so I tried the handle.

You seem rather tempermental in your posts lately, perhaps you need a vacation, or just take the danforth anchor out of your @$$.
And next you're going to ask about the light in the fridge????

Don't get upset about the answers you get when you ask a silly question. Now, back to the WENCHES!
Old 06-18-2007

saurav16 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to saurav16
Its not a silly question, I am new to sailing and am posting on the "learn to sail" forum...
Old 06-18-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Gui,

Quote:
but the drum just turned but the rope didn't jib sheet just slid, and didn't pull the roller furling at all
Certainly didn't sound like it from your first post in this thread, part of which is quoted.

It looks pretty obvious to me that all G was trying to do was to explain that which you appeared not to understand.

If a line around a sheet winch does not adjust the sail then either it is loose on the drum (add more turns), is running in the wrong direction (reverse it), it needs the help of a winch handle (use it) or the operator is a brain dead moron (no action applicable). Non self tailing , you will then need a cleat to tie it off to or a jammer of some description.. This presumes that you have uncleated the furling line and it also presumes the winch is not seized.

Were I Giu , I'd have taken the aformentioned Danforth and given your haemorrhoids a tickle or two, inserted flukes first.

Twit.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 06-18-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C
And next you're going to ask about the light in the fridge????

Don't get upset about the answers you get when you ask a silly question. Now, back to the WENCHES!

Do you know that it goes out when you close the door ? Had to remove all the shelves and groceries to make enough room to get in but yep, it did go out when Ms W closed the door on me. Not as comfortable as a nice warm burrow either.

Now, bring on them wenches. Mmmmmm, a pair of two speed self tailing wenches. I Like the sound of that.

Old 06-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Saurav16-

Since a winch depends on the friction between the line and the winch drum to work—it is important that the line be tightly wrapped around the drum as possible. The more wraps you have, the better the grip of the rope on the drum, since you're increasing the surface area in contact with the drum. On a self-tailing winch, the self-tailer automatically tightens up on the line as you turn the winch handle. On non self-tailing winches, it is up to the person tailing the line to add tension to the line. If you don't do this—the winch will just spin...and not actually move the line.

Try putting your hands around a rope but not grabbing it and see how well you can pull the rope—same idea—a winch can't pull the rope without grabbing it...

IMHO, Giu was honestly trying to answer your question... he's a good egg, if a bit soft-boiled.

T34C— IMHO, you're really not contributing... this is a learn to sail forum, and it was an honest if somewhat worrisome question. IMHO, common sense dictates that if you're trying to use a winch to pull on a line... you should probably pull on the line while using the winch....

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-19-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:

OK...now you've done it....

Don't you know that you NEVER bring the word A-N-C-H-O-R to your thread????

Don't you know that Craig Smith and Allan Poiraud have their browsers on "stealth" mode, lurking for the word A-N-C-H-O-R and every time their computers detect the word, they come in and start their A-N-C-H-O-R fight thing??

Do you think your nice thread deserves a death like that?? do you??

By the way, I have a CQR, but its only to fool people..I don't really use it that much.....