Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
If My sail is on the port side, and I am traveling in the port direction why is it called a starboard tack?

Whichever side of the boat the WIND hits first is the tack you are on. BTW...a Snark was my first boat too...lots of fun and you learn about the wind and tacking really quickly...as well as how to let go of the main sheet! Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2007

nolatom will become famous soon enough
If you're out on the Charles, lots of the boats you see will be from Community Boating (near the Hatch band shell, where the Pops perform, on shore). Community's a great program, if you're interested. it's made sailing available to many who wouldn't have had a chance otherwise.

So out there, you will need to know who's on port or starboard.

I've been away from New England almost 30 years, but don't think any of the above has changed.
Old 06-21-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
wind is also identified as the direction it is coming _from_, so at least it is consistent.
Old 06-21-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Good to see not an AFOC. My first time no wind. My second went in a race at the YC. Had trouble getting over the start line against the tide. My third time had a ship giving me 5 blasts (had already decided to give way to it). Fourth time another race and got on a long plane for a mile or two - impressed the bigger boats. A while before I won a race but 2 in a day wasn't bad and a few fish in between.
Old 06-21-2007

tagster is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a blast, I learned to sail a similar way...pretending I knew what I was doing enough to rent 11' hunter excites on Greenlake in Seattle. Then 16' Catalina's in lake union... Then I finally settled on buying a 42' boat which was a very questionable idea but I'd rather jump in with both feet than never get in the water I guess :-)

The first time out was awesome, as I looked like a real fool after pretending I knew what I was doing and convincing the owner I wasn't going to lay the boat down...and I just sat there, and drifted into the dock. Eventually I got out but I found myself having to push the boom out one way or another and hold it with my hand. I still have no idea how that worked, because I had no idea which way the wind was blowing.

After going out a few dozen times, I found both turning slowly and gradually increasing the rate I'm turning into my tack (sweeping into my tack) and sitting as far forward as I can to be pretty important in a cat boat. You want your center of gravity to be as close to the centerboard as possible, keeping weight off the stern because it can cause a lot of drag (depends of course on the shape of the boat). And you want to ease into the turn, to keep raking the keel over from causing a lot of drag. But by the time you start to come about, you don't want to be turning too slowly because facing dead into the wind will cost a lot of headway. So start out turning very lightly, and then gradually increase the angle of the keel...as you begin to come about, gradually decrease it. Smoothing the tack out will help you keep speed, and help prevent those fun surprise heels that happen when you go from a dead stop to a broad reach with a full sail.
Old 06-22-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
I just picked up a Snark. I traded an old acoustic guitar for it (I love Craigslist ).

I got it for a couple of reasons. One is that I want to teach my kids. I want a decent sized boat in the not too distant future. My wife isn't sold on it yet; if the kids become sailors, well...

Another reason is that I built a little pirogue (flat bottom canoe) that I wanted to adapt to sailing. The hardware required to adapt to the Snark rig to my pirogue will cost me maybe $5 and an hour or so. I already have a lee board, I squared off the stern so I just need a pin bracket for the rudder and I have a deck where the mast goes - just need to cut a hole in the deck add a couple of braces and a sort piece of PVC pipe and I am done!

BTW, for others who need instructions, I found an online manual for a Sea Eagle inflatable that has a similar lanteen rig, so while much of the manual doesn't apply, the sail rig is pretty much the same and the general info on sailing applies:

http://www.seaeagle.com/Instructions/SailCat14sc.pdf
Old 06-23-2007

Following up on my previous post, a better place for rigging instructions - straight from the horse's mouth (CastleCraft, the manufacturer):
CastleCraft Super Snark Sailboat Parts | Part List for Super Snark and Sea Snark Sailboats
Old 06-25-2007
Semper Gumby

GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
Ok we had our 1st sailing lessons of my entire life. 32í Catalina. I did ok, felt like peeing my pants trying to get out of the Berkeley Marina. Out on the Bay my wife piloted the boat like a rummy with vertigo, my 10 year old daughter keep the course like a pro and I did ok. The instructor was very cool, young guy, who directed us very well
The bay was calm and sunny with about 7 kt winds, it was so much fun. I am so hooked.
Old 06-27-2007

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbarnhart
I just picked up a Snark. I traded an old acoustic guitar for it (I love Craigslist ).

I got it for a couple of reasons. One is that I want to teach my kids. I want a decent sized boat in the not too distant future. My wife isn't sold on it yet; if the kids become sailors, well...

Another reason is that I built a little pirogue (flat bottom canoe) that I wanted to adapt to sailing. The hardware required to adapt to the Snark rig to my pirogue will cost me maybe $5 and an hour or so. I already have a lee board, I squared off the stern so I just need a pin bracket for the rudder and I have a deck where the mast goes - just need to cut a hole in the deck add a couple of braces and a sort piece of PVC pipe and I am done!

BTW, for others who need instructions, I found an online manual for a Sea Eagle inflatable that has a similar lanteen rig, so while much of the manual doesn't apply, the sail rig is pretty much the same and the general info on sailing applies:

http://www.seaeagle.com/Instructions/SailCat14sc.pdf

Okay, I actually happen to know what a pirogue is... if you can sail a pirogue (not big on lateral stability) with a Snark rig, you can sail anything, big or small. Best of luck to you and enjoy it....
Old 06-27-2007

I actually sailed the pirogue once with the rig from the picture below. In the picture, it is on a pram I built but have since gotten rid of (and I kick myself for it now). It was a rather hairy ride in a little too much wind and water and way too much sail and the sail ripped out the light duty mast support I had put in the pirogue. The sail below is a 80 SF lug of sorts and the Snark sail is about 35 SF lanteen. I took my 2 boys out in the Snark the other day and one of my 2 daughters wants to go next; I am really glad I got it. There is a little 500 acre lake near here that allows no power boats and only charges $2 to launch a car topper ($3 for a trailered boat) that is perfect for boats than size.

Last edited by arbarnhart; 06-27-2007 at 09:54 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.