Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
I think Eric Smith has it right that you were being overtaken, and thus you were the stand-on vessel. As such, you did the right thing by maintaining course and speed, such as they were. But a drawing of the course of the two boats would be helpful.

Otherwise (and not having Chapman's in front of me), two sailing vessels on the same tack about to cross -- isn't the windward vessel the "give way" and thus the burdened vessel?

One other option is to use the VHF radio to hail the other vessel to make sure he knows you are hove to and have restricted maneuverability. That may not be obvious to him.

Giu also makes a good point about shouting to the other boat, although my rule of thumb is that if you are close enough to shout, you're probably too close.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by equitiman
Thanks guys...well at least I know now that the answer isn't perfectly clear...so it isn't just me . Just to clarify, had neither of us taken any action he would have t-boned me. He was on a close reach and I was hove-to with the wind coming over my starboard beam.
To avoid the T-boning I think you both did the right thing - he being the only one who could 'avoid the collision' did just that. My Guess on the instruction of heaving to on starboard tack is to make you obvious as a 'possible' stand on vessel whether fits into the other list of 'limited manouverability' 'stand-ons' or not. On a Sunday afternoon looking from my old marina in Greenwich Bay NGBay looking south over the bay I have counted well over 100 sails without being able to even see down to Newport which is a sailing zoo with usually another 100 itself. When it gets crowded I am in constant scan mode for 'stand-on' vessels that I may have to avoid and pretty much ignore the others - that's why I think you were trained that way.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 06-20-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Where I sail, ITS A BIG FREAKING LAKE!
Just be courtious to the other boater, you see a boat hove-to, Go around the guy. Give him all the room he needs.

I don't know the exact situation from the original poster, but if there is plenty of sea room and no other vessels around, it should not be a big deal.

The approaching boat should see you from miles away. He has plenty of opportunity to adjust his course to go around you. If he makes a big deal out of it, than he simply is a jerk.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 06-20-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I'm safe there...people just run away from me.....(G)

If they see me coming...even if they're stopped, they start the engines and move away of my path.....

"Quick...hide women and children...Giu is coming....."
Old 06-20-2007

equitiman is on a distinguished road
Thanks again for all your replies. Shouting to him might have worked however by the time he was within shouting distance it would have probably been too late for him to take any avoiding action he hadn't already taken.

I think Sailingdog hit the nail on the head in terms of the situation I was in. Had I tried to tack I would have been in irons and even more helpless but had I decided to head off I would have gone even more directly into his path and cut off his only path to avoid me.

Regarding this being an overtaking situation, I'm not sure if that is correct. He was approaching me from my port beam which, correct me if I'm wrong, would not be an overtaking situation.

In any event, I'm the wiser for it and appreciate your responses.

Bob
Old 06-20-2007

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
I don't think it makes any difference if one is hove to on the starboard tack or the port tack.

Also, I agree with "sense" of dog's original post, but believe he cited the wrong rule. It's not "vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver", but rather, "vessel not under command". The definition under Rule 3 is:

(f) The term "vessel not under command" means a vessel which through some exceptional circumstance is unable to maneuver as required by these Rules and is therefore unable to keep out of the way of another vessel. Unquote

A sailing vessel, when hove to, isn't able to keep out of the way of another vessel, since it's movement is wholly up to the circumstances of wind, wave, current, and her characteristics while hove to....forereaching, leeway, etc.

While a powerboat may not recognize the condition of being "hove to", another sailboat certainly should be able to recognize another sailboat which is hove to, and should take action to stay clear....quite irrespective of who's on what tack. IMO.

Bill
Old 06-20-2007
Raven

mdemuth is on a distinguished road
Good discussion.

When hove to, the degree which you are still making way and have steerage is variable, so while clearly not optimal I am wondering if you really are "not under command" or "restricted in your ability to maneauver"

Same tack, windward gives way to leeward (except in an overtaking situation). It is not clear you were being overtaken as you say other vessel was "approaching". Let's say you are crossing, then you are give-way

In the end, Col Reg 17 states stand-on vessel must take action to avoid collisoin if give-way vessel appears not to be taking (read "or able to take") appropriate action

As Giu and others have indicated, observation and communication important for all concerned.
Old 06-20-2007
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Huh?

Guys, I've been mulling this over, thought that I understood, but now I have a question.

I think that ericsmith3d has it right in that he was being overtaken, thus, the stand on vessel (must maintain course and speed).

However in the original post;
Quote:
I had hove-to onto a starboard tack and was fiddling around on my boat. Suddenly a sailboat on a starboard tack was directly approaching me from leeward. Of course I had no steerageway as I was barely moving and if I had released the starboard genoa sheet and trimmed the port sheet then I would have gone onto a tack that would have pointed me directly at the oncoming vessel.
Isn't that the wrong sheet? I mean shouldn't he have released the port jib sheet, and trimmed to stbd?

I even drew a picture so that I could try to figger this out... but it appears that the upload feature ain't workin' (I've beentrying this for about 1/2 hour... )

EDIT: I finally uploaded to the Photo gallery as a workaround. Here is the pic:
http://www.sailnet.com/photogallery/.../ppuser/132479 (Wow - that was hardly worth it!)

Ed

Last edited by eherlihy; 06-20-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-20-2007
Raven

mdemuth is on a distinguished road
Hi Ed, I drew a sketch also... with hove-to stbd tack, he has his stbd sheet in as the genoa is back winded

Cheers

P.S. speaking of graphics I cannot get my Profile Picture to show,.. it is small enough. Any hints ? format ?
Old 06-20-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemuth
P.S. speaking of graphics I cannot get my Profile Picture to show,.. it is small enough. Any hints ? format ?
If you go into the avatar editing screen after clicking on the User CP, a limiting image size notation is located at the very bottom, as follows:
Quote:
Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 150 by 100 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).