Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
Beam reach problems????

So Im still very new to this wind powerd thing and Im having a problem. Last time I sailed on a beam reach in 20kts I was hard over on the wheel and was still rounding up. Tried again yesterday in 16-18 kts and it was somewhat better but I still had to fight it. To get rid of the boats urge to round up I had to let the mainsail all the way out untill it was luffing hard.
Am I running too much sail and need to reef it in? or is there a problem Im not seeing?
35 foot full keel sloop rig if it matters.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Would help if you said what make/model of boat it was. Some boats, due to their design, have inherent problems with certain points of sail. It would also help if you said what sails you had up.... The behavior of a boat will change with different sails.

In 20 knots of wind, you should probably have de-powered the sails as much as possible... Also, it sounds like you didn't have the sail plan very well balanced, and that may have contributed quite a bit to your problem.

BTW, how badly heeled was the boat... some boats, once they heel past a certain point will just round up, and because you're heeled over so much, the rudder doesn't have enough of a grip on the water to make a difference.

Without knowing what boat you are sailing and what sails you had rigged, it is hard to say whether you had too much sail up or not. Some heavier 35' boats won't need to reef in only 20 knots of wind, others will need to reduce sail a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-20-2007

smokeandoakum is on a distinguished road
All mono-hulls round up when healed excessively. Reduce sail.
Old 06-20-2007
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
i just want to know where the 18 kt winds are. We haven't had any good wind for a couple of weeks and i am tired of motoring out and dropping anchor to swim.
Old 06-20-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Wildcard, please...please don't be offended...

You are out in 20kts wind on a sailboat and you don't know the answer to your question....are you not pushing the envelope too much??

Again, please don't be offended, ok?? You really need to read some books or go sailing with someone more experienced.

Answer: Your boat does that because you have too much sail behind the mast. Try this:

1) reef one level on the main
2) Outhaul to the max
3) Back stay to the max
4) halyard to the max
5) Main traveller to leeward max
6) Don't sheet in the main so much
7) get someone that knows about this with you.

Please don't be offended, OK?? not my intention
Old 06-20-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I find that proper use of halyard/outhaul tensioning (sail flattening) and traveller position are among the more difficult sail controls to teach, the last because you have to get the role of "twist" across, as well as moving the center of draft, etc.

Most racers learn this stuff early, as do all dinghy sailors who like dry aft quarters. I suggest you go racing and play with these controls in 10 knots of wind until you internalize "well, if I do this, then this will happen..."
Old 06-20-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Ok, your going to think me on crack;
The new boat has a loose footed main, I know you hate to hear this, on a roller furler. I try to go max outhaul and I still cannot flatten the sail. I always end up rolling up a bit to reduce sail when overpowered. (And moving the traveler down)

I balance by reducing. Have not been able to completly flatten the sail adequately.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 06-21-2007

Broad reach, near 20 kts wind 10-12 degrees heel, the boat is just fine and Im sure I was on the right track and it has become apparent I was right, too much mainsail.
This is a 35 foot S&S hull with 5K of lead 5 1/2 feet down running a 100% jib and a single reef mainsail.
I have little time to sail my boat but seem to have plenty to sail others, I sail when Im home and it's blowing 20 kts every day right now. Any candyass can sail in 10 kts, 20 is a bit more of a handfull. BTW I have read every book out there (too much time with little to do in the desert) but reading only goes so far. Big seas are also no stranger to me, 35 feet with 50 kts of wind will teach you a lot about the sea but the wind part of this is still pretty new. I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track here, I was, thanks.
Held 6.8 close hauled today, very fun!
Old 06-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hmm.. 10-12˚ of heel isn't much for a monohull.

Given that you had a single reef in the mainsail as well, I don't know if you had too much mainsail up for the conditions. I wouldn't have thought that more than a first reef in the main would be needed on a 35' boat with 5000 lbs. of lead in the keel in only 20 knots of wind.

Have you had the rigging checked, it sounds like the mast may be raked aft too much. Just a thought.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-21-2007

The sail was NOT reefed yet as I was not keeled over much. I was assuming tht was the problem and it seems to be. Trying again today. Thanks.

On an added topic, while going through my sail locker I found what appears to be a 180% Genoa with reef points? I have never heard o such a critter?????