Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2007

loomaz is on a distinguished road
Coming about in a Rhodes 18

I seem to be having a difficult time bringing my Rhodes 18 about. I just acquired this boat and hoped it would have the same sailing characteristics as the Rhodes 19 I once owned. That boat was extremely responsive to the tiller while the Rhodes 18 seems sluggish. Is it the skeg that protrudes below the stern portion of the boat that is creating drag? It seems that the boat just won't come about easily. What gives? Does anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Loomaz...I lake sailed on an R18 as a kid and always remember the boat as sluggish so I don't think that is anything unusual. You have to have pretty good way on to come about. Nice stable day sailor with a great cockpit but not the quickest around the buoys. I alway loved that boat...is yours restored? Pictures?
Old 06-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Easing the main sheet a bit as you come about will help a bit, as will backwinding the jib a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-23-2007

Rhodes 18

Thanks for the suggestion about backwinding the jib and easing off on the main to help bring my Rhodes 18 about a bit quicker, however, and this may sound stupid, but how do you "backwind" the jib? And, exactly what is it about the design of this boat that makes it so hard to bring about? Is it the skeg in the back?
Old 06-23-2007

Rhodes 18

Sorry, I forgot to answer Comraderie's question about the Rhodes. It is in pretty good shape for an old hull. No damage but it could use a new gel coat. I just rebuilt the floor this winter and it looks really great. The guy who sold me the boat last year replaced the rub rail and I refinished the wood around the cockpit. Sorry, I don't have a picture.; It is a good looking boat with lots of cockpit room, but I am a bit disenchanted with the way it sails.
Old 06-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Loomaz-

If you don't release the jib sheet immediately as it comes around, the jib will luff and then fill in the "wrong" direction as the boat crosses through the wind—the jib will then be "backwinded" and will help pull the boat around.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-23-2007

Thanks sailing dog, sounds like a good idea and I'll give it a try
Old 06-26-2007
Telstar 28

let us know how it all works out.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 06-26-2007

Yugi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Yugi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Easing the main sheet a bit as you come about will help a bit, as will backwinding the jib a bit.
If easing the main doesnt work or help try pulling it in more before you tack. Backwinding the jib should be all you really need to do.
Old 07-02-2007

I did try backwinding the jib and it does help. I had a much easier time of it this weekend although when I use the big jib, it tends to get hung up on the mast when I do try backwinding it. Thanks for the suggestions.