Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Signed Up For Classes - Whoo Hoo!

Many of you are probably aware, from my posts elsewhere on SailNet, that my wife and I are preparing to buy a boat. One problem that faced us was getting said boat home from the purchase point. (If the pending deal goes through, this will mean a sail from partway down Lake Erie, up the Detroit River (26 miles on engine), and partway up Lake St. Claire. Our skills are questionable. I really never learned how to sail, per se, only crewed, with specific duties. Her experience is on a boat in many ways completely different from the fiberglass-hulled, performance cruiser we're looking to buy. (She's never even used a winch, for example.) So we were a bit aprehensive about a relatively long (for us) maiden voyage, through unfamiliar waters, on an unfamiliar boat, with our questionable skills.

So we just signed up for ASA 101 and ASA 103 classes next weekend .

Now it's off to Amazon to buy a copy of Sailing Fundamentals to prepare in advance (I've already read it), and we should be good to go!

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2007
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Jim,

Good luck with the new purchase and the lessons. Which school are you using and where? The only advise I can give you for safe and relaxing sailing is: The admiral is always right and you NEVER give ORDERS to the Admiral. Requests are sometimes acknowledged. Kind of like the rest of married life!
Old 06-30-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
You should consider getting one or (better) two people to come with you who have sailing experience. The friend(s) you crewed with, for example. The boat's PO may also be willing to help in this regard. Taking the sailing courses are a fine idea, but in reading your other posts about a pending purchase, you may not be able to complte them in time.
Old 06-30-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
SemiJim-

I'd highly recommend you also pick up Dave Seidman's The Complete Sailor.. it is very easy to read and covers a lot of material.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-30-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHand
You should consider getting one or (better) two people to come with you who have sailing experience. The friend(s) you crewed with, for example. The boat's PO may also be willing to help in this regard. Taking the sailing courses are a fine idea, but in reading your other posts about a pending purchase, you may not be able to complte them in time.
The classes will be two nine-hour sessions next weekend, so we'll be done with those long before we'll have he boat. (Surveryors in the area are running about two weeks out, right now.) The PO has volunteered to go as far as near the southern end of the Detroit River with us. We'll probably take him up on that.

Jim
Old 06-30-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
SemiJim-

I'd highly recommend you also pick up Dave Seidman's The Complete Sailor.. it is very easy to read and covers a lot of material.
So noted. Thanks!

As for Sailing Fundamentals: The plan is, once we get the boat, we'll start out by doing each of the "at sea" exercises with our own boat. Just the two of us. That should keep us busy for a while .

Jim
Old 07-01-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

If I were you I would hire a delivery captain. You will have all sorts of things to worry about, like docking, operating the engine, navigating, etc.

I hired a captain to help bring my 'new to me' boat home last fall. For $300 / day I gained piece of mind and learnd a tremendous amount of information.

Barry

Old 07-01-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL
Hello,

If I were you I would hire a delivery captain. You will have all sorts of things to worry about, like docking, operating the engine, navigating, etc.
We considered that. Considering I have past crewing experience, my wife has past sailing experience, we'll be taking that class, the PO has offered to accompany us for the first couple hours, the route is pretty straight-forward and the miracle of modern electronics, we've decided to give it a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL
I hired a captain to help bring my 'new to me' boat home last fall. For $300 / day I gained piece of mind and learnd a tremendous amount of information.

Barry
I can understand that. If we didn't have the above going for us, we'd likely do the same.

I'm curious: What general route did you have to take and how long was the trip?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jim
Old 08-07-2007
Gonna jump land

MalDeTerre is on a distinguished road
How are things progressing on the boat delivery?
Old 08-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Enjoy, keep us posted, especially if you run into problems... We've got a team standing by to help out...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.