SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   topping lift (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/34501-topping-lift.html)

wumhenry 07-07-2007 01:27 AM

topping lift

Do you always leave it slack when the main is up, no matter which point of sail you're on?

trantor12020 07-07-2007 03:56 AM

I've a full batten with roach at top of mains hence I slack-off topping lift when mains is up. Also slack topping lift allows you to tension your kicker without restriction by the topping lift.

sailingdog 07-07-2007 06:01 AM

If you don't leave the topping lift a bit slack when you're sailing, the mainsail won't ever take proper shape, since the leech will be baggy. The boom's weight normally flattens out the leech of the mainsail—with the topping lift tight, it doesn't flatten out properly.

Also, a boom vang won't work properly, to flatten the mainsail in heavier winds, if the topping lift isn't slack.

Faster 07-07-2007 10:45 AM

...except in the lightest of air, when you can use it to support the boom to prevent the weight of it from removing twist/shape in the main and closing off the leech.

Otherwise it should be slack, and ideally stowed where it isn't chafing the leech of the main.

wumhenry 07-07-2007 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog
If you don't leave the topping lift a bit slack when you're sailing, the mainsail won't ever take proper shape, since the leech will be baggy. The boom's weight normally flattens out the leech of the mainsail—with the topping lift tight, it doesn't flatten out properly.

Also, a boom vang won't work properly, to flatten the mainsail in heavier winds, if the topping lift isn't slack.

I didn't know that. I assumed the reason for slacking it was to prevent chafing or obstruction of the leech when tacking or jibing.

knotaloud 07-07-2007 11:53 AM

two words: Boomkicker, (well, I guess that's one word) Seoladair, Ltd.

bestfriend 07-07-2007 12:28 PM

I watched a video on you tube (I think) about depowering the main. It was about racing mind you, and it was very poor quality, so it was hard to hear the explanations. Basically, they would tension or lift the topping when ever they moved the main. For instance, if they were dropping the traveler, they would tension the topping, move the traveler, then slack the topping again. I don't know why, and they didn't explain, and I don't know if its correct. I have never done it that way. It may just be an ease of movement thing when the main is under a lot of load.

sailingdog 07-08-2007 03:04 PM

why bother adjusting the topping lift. It doesn't affect how the traveler works in any significant way that I can see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestfriend
I watched a video on you tube (I think) about depowering the main. It was about racing mind you, and it was very poor quality, so it was hard to hear the explanations. Basically, they would tension or lift the topping when ever they moved the main. For instance, if they were dropping the traveler, they would tension the topping, move the traveler, then slack the topping again. I don't know why, and they didn't explain, and I don't know if its correct. I have never done it that way. It may just be an ease of movement thing when the main is under a lot of load.

bestfriend 07-08-2007 03:52 PM

I don't see any reason for it either, and I don't bother with it. But for some reason they were doing it.

sailingdog 07-08-2007 06:49 PM

Just because someone was doing it on youtube doesn't mean that it makes sense to do it.. ;)