Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2007

wumhenry is on a distinguished road
topping lift

Do you always leave it slack when the main is up, no matter which point of sail you're on?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2007

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
I've a full batten with roach at top of mains hence I slack-off topping lift when mains is up. Also slack topping lift allows you to tension your kicker without restriction by the topping lift.
Old 07-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you don't leave the topping lift a bit slack when you're sailing, the mainsail won't ever take proper shape, since the leech will be baggy. The boom's weight normally flattens out the leech of the mainsail—with the topping lift tight, it doesn't flatten out properly.

Also, a boom vang won't work properly, to flatten the mainsail in heavier winds, if the topping lift isn't slack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-07-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
...except in the lightest of air, when you can use it to support the boom to prevent the weight of it from removing twist/shape in the main and closing off the leech.

Otherwise it should be slack, and ideally stowed where it isn't chafing the leech of the main.
Old 07-07-2007

wumhenry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
If you don't leave the topping lift a bit slack when you're sailing, the mainsail won't ever take proper shape, since the leech will be baggy. The boom's weight normally flattens out the leech of the mainsail—with the topping lift tight, it doesn't flatten out properly.

Also, a boom vang won't work properly, to flatten the mainsail in heavier winds, if the topping lift isn't slack.
I didn't know that. I assumed the reason for slacking it was to prevent chafing or obstruction of the leech when tacking or jibing.
Old 07-07-2007
Re Member

knotaloud is on a distinguished road
two words: Boomkicker, (well, I guess that's one word) Seoladair, Ltd.
Old 07-07-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
I watched a video on you tube (I think) about depowering the main. It was about racing mind you, and it was very poor quality, so it was hard to hear the explanations. Basically, they would tension or lift the topping when ever they moved the main. For instance, if they were dropping the traveler, they would tension the topping, move the traveler, then slack the topping again. I don't know why, and they didn't explain, and I don't know if its correct. I have never done it that way. It may just be an ease of movement thing when the main is under a lot of load.

Vaya con Dios
Old 07-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
why bother adjusting the topping lift. It doesn't affect how the traveler works in any significant way that I can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriend
I watched a video on you tube (I think) about depowering the main. It was about racing mind you, and it was very poor quality, so it was hard to hear the explanations. Basically, they would tension or lift the topping when ever they moved the main. For instance, if they were dropping the traveler, they would tension the topping, move the traveler, then slack the topping again. I don't know why, and they didn't explain, and I don't know if its correct. I have never done it that way. It may just be an ease of movement thing when the main is under a lot of load.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-08-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
I don't see any reason for it either, and I don't bother with it. But for some reason they were doing it.

Vaya con Dios
Old 07-08-2007
Telstar 28

Just because someone was doing it on youtube doesn't mean that it makes sense to do it..

Telstar 28
New England