Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2007

chappyonice is on a distinguished road
It would be interesting to hear about more sailor's "defining moments"...especially some of you old salts out there!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

Nice story and good for you!! You will never forget that sailing day. However, don't become over confident (it doesn't seem like you are, but still....). Mother Nature never runs out of surprises.

I like the way you wrote to "trust Firefly and what she was telling me by her movements." That is a very astute observation. You need to trust the boat (and yourself) in order to sail in challenging conditions. Sailing in those conditions will make you a better sailor.

Keep it up and enjoy the boat.

Barry
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Speaking of Firefly...I always like Malcolm Reynolds quote from Serenity, the Firefly movie... paraphrased to suite a sea-going vessel:

Quote:
You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-11-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Good on ya, Todd.

I'm glad to see your son is an integral part of the adventure. He's at a good age to learn sailing. He's big enough that you do not regard him as a passenger, having to worry overly about him, and he can bear a hand. He'll learn skills that will stay with him, even as his life becomes more hectic with other activities, and will always be able to step right on board with confidence. I am a huge believer in providing challenging activities for boys at the age when they enter puberty. Boy Scouts, etc... They've got a ton of emotions, coupled with endless energy, to deal with in those years. If he takes a hanker for sailing, it is something he can really sink his teeth into.

Sounds like you're still grinning! The best sailors never grow over confident. They have no idea which lesson they have not yet learned, but are sure there is one or two more waiting for them. Always asking, "what if..." is not a bad philosophy. Keep us updated.
Old 07-12-2007

chappyonice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Speaking of Firefly...I always like Malcolm Reynolds quote from Serenity, the Firefly movie... paraphrased to suite a sea-going vessel:
SD, the show was the insiration for the boat's name. My son, daughter, and I are (were ) big fans.

Both kids are going to sailing camp for 2 weeks in Youngstown, NY in August. My daughter will work on Prams for 1/2 day and my son on C&C Nutshells for full days. They're pretty charged up about it.

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I definitely know what you mean by not getting overconfident. Each time out is a learning experience in its own. I actually have a "what we learned today" section in my ship's log.
Old 09-01-2007

calmtoday28 is on a distinguished road
Red face congrats

Congratulations, chappyonice, sounds like you had a great time!

Andy
Old 09-01-2007

sonofasonofasailer456 is on a distinguished road
well I quess if running aground twice makes you a sailer then I did it on my maiden voyage with My Maria, I was all full of myself and showing off, sailing into the Merrimac with a west south west wind caught the sand off coast guard cove slipped off, no problem, then got up to the 13 can went a little too far and grounded on the mussel bed off Wood Bridge, then I got a little well excited yelling at the first mate (my bad) to do this and that while I was in the water pushing, well we got off with a brused ego. And lot's of appologies
Old 09-01-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
My son became a sailor today...

Vaya con Dios
Old 09-01-2007

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriend View Post
My son became a sailor today...

Bestfreind, it's a good thing you don't live in Connecticut. It's agents the law for me to give my 20 year a drink even in my own home.

Dennis

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 09-02-2007

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
I have a feeling your a pretty cool dad My son is only 3 (daughter 6 too) but were headed down in the AM to take the SC out....their first time!!! I think sailing is fading from society and it is really important to get the kids out there. Of course its a 2 1/2 hour drive to the boat for us (with the kids screaming the whole way) But soooo worth it.