Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Learning to Sail

During the 2nd day of our combined ASA 101 and 103 courses. Winds averaging (when they were steady) 10-15 kts. Puffs up to 18-20 kts. The puffs were fun. Once when I was at the helm, on a close reach, had "a" puff coming. (Learned how to see 'em coming this day.) Only it turned out it was three little puffs in a row... followed by one BIG puff. Each of the three, I beared off and got her back on her feet. The BIG puff - which hadn't revealed itself, so it must've been aloft - I kept bearing off and bearing off and she kept burying herself deeper and deeper. About the time the instructor started telling me to point up, instead, to depower the sails, I was already somehow instinctively moving the wheel in that direction.

Later, on another, close hauled, tack: Instructor (sitting on a leeward bench, looking over his shoulder): "Remember how I told you guys, earlier, that because of the amount of freeboard this boat has, it takes a lot to get her rails in the water?" "Yes," we reply. "Well," he said, "you've managed to do it." (Was me behind the helm again .) She didn't feel overpowered at the time--tho I suppose perhaps she was. She was definitely under control. Didn't really have (much of) a weather helm, as I recall. I believe we had a reef in by that point.

By the end of the day we were all sailing by the helm, the feel of the boat and the set of the sails, only eyeballing the compass, windex and tell-tales for confirmation. (My wife started-out that way, having had the most experience of the three of us.)

Boy, was that ever a good time

Boat was a 34' Hunter, btw.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sounds like you had a good day....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-20-2007

theclown is on a distinguished road
rules, laws, and the likes, do I need a passport the sail , how far can I go.the clown