Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2007

Dihydro77 is on a distinguished road
Learning to sail in Ct

Has anyone her used sailtime in Norwalk? Did a search on this board and nothing for my area came up. Thanks in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2007

Well.......If anyone here is from ct and sails, where did you get your training/certification?
Old 07-16-2007

nolatom will become famous soon enough
I can't help you with that particular school, but would think that most Conn. sailors learned in a summer camp or club program, or from friends.

Certification is a relatively recent animal, I'd guess less than 5% of sailors have such a certificate (heck, I don't have one and I teach some classes down here).

If you don't get any response on-line, try hanging out at whatever yacht club or sailing club is in the same harbor, and ask folks there if they know about the outfit and have an opinion based on seeing their boats out sailing. Added side benefit..maybe someone you talk to is looking for a crew, even if inexperienced.
Old 07-16-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Dihydro (monoxide? )

If you're near Norwalk, CT, I highly recommend Sound Sailing Center. I was one of the few people in CT who didn't (as nolatom put it) learn from camp, club or friend. I went to SSC and was ridiculously satisfied. They were very thorough, the ensigns are great boats to learn in, and they have a great membership program.

I am in no way associated with SSC, only a former student/member who misses Norwalk Harbor

SOUND SAILING CENTER ∑ Long Island Sound's Premier Sailing School

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 07-16-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom
I can't help you with that particular school, but would think that most Conn. sailors learned in a summer camp or club program, or from friends.

Certification is a relatively recent animal, I'd guess less than 5% of sailors have such a certificate (heck, I don't have one and I teach some classes down here).

If you don't get any response on-line, try hanging out at whatever yacht club or sailing club is in the same harbor, and ask folks there if they know about the outfit and have an opinion based on seeing their boats out sailing. Added side benefit..maybe someone you talk to is looking for a crew, even if inexperienced.
Thats good to know about certifications. I alway thought that it was must have to charter but I guess most just get on board after racking up some time on others boats. Thanks
Old 07-16-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendMike
Dihydro (monoxide? )

If you're near Norwalk, CT, I highly recommend Sound Sailing Center. I was one of the few people in CT who didn't (as nolatom put it) learn from camp, club or friend. I went to SSC and was ridiculously satisfied. They were very thorough, the ensigns are great boats to learn in, and they have a great membership program.

I am in no way associated with SSC, only a former student/member who misses Norwalk Harbor

SOUND SAILING CENTER ∑ Long Island Sound's Premier Sailing School

(Two molecules of h20)

And thats another training program I was considering. Good to here from someone who has been there. Sailtime is cheaper for the basic keelboat $435including the ct safe boat cert. Sound sailing center is over $800 for the same. Both out of Norwalk which is 15 min away from me. Now I would like to get a reference like yours for the Sailtime training. I think sailtime may be cheaper as a form of advertisment and possibly bringing in new members or boat owners. Thanks for your input.
Jeff
Old 07-17-2007
Mostly Harmless

Jeff

I think someone here had a thread about sailtime. In it, i think various people checked in about different franchises (and some were better than others IIRC). Here are a few threads that might help (you could search for them all, i stopped cutting & pasting after 3 )

Sailtime vs Pinnacle vs Windpath
Sailtime - fractional yacht ownership
Fractional Sailing Experience

Either way you go, have fun!
Mike

(edit: one thing to consider about the price is how much time is spent on-water, when i took the basic keelboat from Sound Sailing, i think it was 16-20hrs on the water with the instructor, then 4-12 hours 'solo' or with my classmates. another consideration is how many students in a class: fewer is better (sorry, too obvious?))

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)

Last edited by ReverendMike; 07-17-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-17-2007
Mostly Harmless

windpath

you may be violating the terms of service

Old 07-17-2007
Mostly Harmless

Windpath

Sorry, i said 'maybe' because i couldn't find them to check , but have seen 'the seniors' come down hard on some things that were 'ad-like'. We probably saw them when we signed up, maybe if you don't log in but try to 'register' again? Not trying to be a jerk, and certainly not trying to block the OP's access to other options.

Regards
Mike

[edit: WOW, i did log out and go to the 'register' page... I was violating the terms by promoting SSC even though i'm not affiliated (promoting any commercial enterprise is against the rules). I am therefore an ass and full of crap and humbly apologize for my earlier attempt to stifle windpath]

Last edited by ReverendMike; 07-17-2007 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-17-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendMike
Jeff

I think someone here had a thread about sailtime. In it, i think various people checked in about different franchises (and some were better than others IIRC). Here are a few threads that might help (you could search for them all, i stopped cutting & pasting after 3 )

Sailtime vs Pinnacle vs Windpath
Sailtime - fractional yacht ownership
Fractional Sailing Experience

Either way you go, have fun!
Mike

(edit: one thing to consider about the price is how much time is spent on-water, when i took the basic keelboat from Sound Sailing, i think it was 16-20hrs on the water with the instructor, then 4-12 hours 'solo' or with my classmates. another consideration is how many students in a class: fewer is better (sorry, too obvious?))
Thanks Mike,

You didnt have to do all that work!! Some very good points to consider though. I will be going down to talk to the Sound sailing guys next week. Right now I want some good solid training and a chance to gain experience.
I have been fighting the urge to buy that boat and hauling the family and friends all over the sound. You know lives to consider and all that stuff I have looked closely at the fractional path but the wife, kids and I want a boat that will be like a piece of vacation property to spend time out on the Sound, LI, Cape cod, Boston, Block Island and Vineyard. (no more traffic, driving and taking ferries )We also enjoy the islands but that sailing will happen in 3-5 years, hopefully some charters before that if all goes well. I have been lucky enough to have a family that loves to explore new places and be on the water. Not much time for sharing and scheduling use of a boat with that kind of a summer schedule. My feeling is a fractional would allow some time during the week on the water but only a occasional weekend. I can't have that since I am off most fridays and every weekend.

Jeff