gloves & shoes - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 07-19-2007 Thread Starter

gloves & shoes

So, I need to get gloves and shoes for my upcoming sailing class.

Recommendations as to where to purchase? Specific brand/style of shoes? short or long gloves?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-19-2007
Mostly Harmless

Long gloves! The short ones are worse than useless (don't ask me why i think that ). Just enough of the fingertip exposed to un-tie a knot.
For shoes, i'm a philistine, i like sneakers - got a pair of 'skate-rat' knock-offs that work great! A little bulky, but i guess they soak up just enough water to fill the voids and act as insulation (maybe the water doesn't keep squishing in and out, so you loose a little heat one time, then they stay warm).

If you want some short fingered gloves cheap.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
post #3 of 16 Old 07-19-2007
Poltergeist

Agree with the Rev on long gloves ... mine have open fingertips only. I also usually just wear sneakers and socks in cooler weather and a pair of lightweight $15 mesh beach shoes in the summer. They grip better than any deck shoe I've ever owned.

Kurt
post #4 of 16 Old 07-19-2007

Hello,

I like the short gloves. They protect my palms while still allowing the dexterity to pick things up, tie knots, etc.

Regarding shoes, I'm not too picky, but please, no black soles. They make a real mess on deck. If you will be getting wet (working on the low side, that sort of thing) then a real boating shoe designed for constant wet use will be more comfortable.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-19-2007
Siren 17

Shoes and gloves, just what type of sissy ass sailing are you trying to learn.

Ok, so I have a pair of gloves cut off just below the knuckles, they're made by black magic and have lasted fifteen years, but I only remember to pring them once every two years or so. Don't usually wear them then any way. For shoes, I wear whatever sneakers I have around, if I wear shoes at all. Got to love living in Florida.

!! WARNING !! The above information is to be used by intelligent people only. If you are Stupid, could be considered a moron, or otherwise. You are instructed to disregard this information and seek the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-19-2007

I've got a pair of Gill gloves. They protect my fingers better than I recall my old sailing gloves doing, but my manual dexterity suffers. They were about $20 at BoatWorld, IIRC. For shoes I bought a pair of Sperry Top-Siders in canvas. About $35 or $40 at BoatWorld, I think.

The shoes work well. They seem much more stable on the deck than the Skechers sneakers I usually wear. I may buy shorter-fingered gloves. We'll have to see.

Btw: For shorter-fingered gloves: Weight-lifting gloves, easily obtained at any major sporting goods store, will serve in a pinch.

Btw2: If the air is moderately light (less than 15 kts), you probably won't really need the gloves. The only time mine came in handy during our class was on day 2, winds about 15 kts, gusting to 18-20 kts, and then the instructor's hat gave us an unintentional MOB exercise. Thing is: He had a heckuva time getting a hook on that hat, so it took us about four tries. After the 2nd, I just stopped winching the jib sheets and just kept one in each hand .

Jim
post #7 of 16 Old 07-20-2007
Mostly Harmless

Agree that you usually don't NEED the gloves (but when you do.... ). Don't get weightlifting gloves, the dye runs and discolors EVERYTHING you touch (and you). Again, don't ask how I know ....

(For me, short gloves leave just enough skin exposed on my index finger that i get ropeburned there, probably because I think I'm protected)

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
post #8 of 16 Old 07-20-2007
*starboard*

Gill 3/4 length gloves for me, and then keen watershoes, sperry topsiders, or just sneakers/socks for shoes!

Gloves are GREAT, definitely important for keeping your hands safe!

I sail.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-20-2007

In the summer I am barefoot on board and never ever use gloves... except if I have to deal with hauling anchor chain... if the windlass fails. It doesn't.

In the spring and fall I use Sebago Spinnakers, but the soles get "polished" and lose traction. My non skid is only so so as far as friction is concerned being small v groves in two directions in the gel coat.

Boots? Only when the it's pouring and I have to deal with a dink full of water and have to walk the dogs.

jef
sv shiva
post #10 of 16 Old 07-20-2007

Early Spring and Fall I use a pair of gloves from the Duluth catalog, water proof insulated gloves, cut off to expose less than 1 inch of each finger, with a mitt over-cover that fold backs. Keeps your hands warm and flip the mitt cover back when needed.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.