Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007

rcosta is on a distinguished road
Moving up from Optis

Hi,

What do most people move out of from Optis? The students we have are outgrowing them. We have some 420's which at this point we can teach on, but are too big for many of them. Will a Sunfish serve as a good intermediate boat? I have asked around and gotten many answers locally, but if anyone could lend me their opinion, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Rich Costa
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd go with a Laser, rather than a Sunfish. The Laser is a bit more advanced, and will be a boat they grow into... also a Sunfish is lateen rigged, and the Laser is sloop rigged. They're about the same size, and when they're younger, you can have them sail the Lasers in pairs, and then solo when they get older. This will also teach them good teamwork skills, which a Sunfish won't do as well.

If the Laser is a bit too much, you might look at the Laser Radial, which has a smaller sailplan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 07-29-2007 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-30-2007

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
How about the Bic O'Pens?

They look great and are designed as an intermediate boat between Optis and Lasers.

Old 07-30-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAsailing View Post
How about the Bic O'Pens?

They look great and are designed as an intermediate boat between Optis and Lasers.
YES!!!!!!!!!

Buy this guy a drink...man has brains. They are becoming very very popular here

http://www.openbic.com/

Last edited by Giulietta; 07-30-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-30-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
If you go to http://www.jsalis.org/ (Junior Sailing Association of Long Island Sound) and click on "Boat Classes", they are showing Optis to age 15 (different fleet classes), Pixels 11-18, Blue Jay's 12-18, Laser's and Laser Radials 14-18 and Club 420's 14-18. I'm fairly certain most US based Junior Sailing Associations have similar recommendations, but not 100% sure. I would check into what your closest junior sailing association recommends and run with that (to maximize your student's racing opportunities).
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 07-30-2007

MysticSkipper is on a distinguished road
Here is something from a local (NC) high school program:

Racing is done in 420's, a 14-foot, double handed boat which is the boat of choice for high school and collegiate sailing in the U.S.

As others have said, see what is available and used locally. The local parks here rent Sunfish and have teen Sunfish racing instruction. Personally, I think a Laser is probably a better boat, but might choose the Sunfish because of the popularity locally or the 420 for serious team racing. But that's here.
Old 08-01-2007

rcosta is on a distinguished road
Thanks

Thanks for everyone's input. Those Open Bics look interesting. I think I saw one on the bay a few weeks ago and but at the time I did not recognize it.
Thanks again.
Old 08-04-2007

paulk is on a distinguished road
boat hunt

There's a lot involved with selecting a good boat to learn on. Optis are great for learning independence and being responsible for getting one's self into and out of trouble. Lasers are a step up, but are still too much for the standard sized 14-year old to handle optimally in many weather conditions. (Thus the Laser Radial). A singlehanded boat with one sail can not help teach kids about working as a team, or about handling jibs or spinnakers. The suggestion to look at the JYALIS website is a good one, but it fails to mention that the 30-some clubs that belong to that organization spent YEARS looking for a replacement for the venerable Blue Jay (a Sparkman & Stevens design from the 1930's). They selected the Pixel based on a number of criteria. Two (or three) crew means learning teamwork. Jib and spinnaker mean learning sailhandling skills. A planing centerboarder means learning how to make a boat perform, bringing in teamwork again for things like roll tacking and spinnaker gybes. A stable hull form means not worrying about easily capsizing while you're learning (UNLIKE the 420), while a self-draining cockpit and flotation in the hull and mast make the boat easy to right if it does capsize and unsinkable. These are all factors worth considering, and you can probably think of more that pertain specifically to you and the boat you end up selecting. There's plenty of homework and research to do before you decide. A fleet of boats that already exists - like Sunfish, for example - can be a good starting point, but that shouldn't be the sole criteria. There are a lot of different designs out there that might suit your needs better. It's up to you to decide what your goals are and how to best meet them.