Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007

Everlong is on a distinguished road
anchoring.....

any stickies on sailnet on anchoring? Just curious....
i picked my marina because of scenery, and ease to get to open water without going through channels etc.... the main problem with the location is anchoring, there isn't too many beaches where i could just "drop it" and stay overnight. All the bottoms are mostly rock slabs, or "beaches" consisting of 4" stones... My main problem is what type of anchor to use to get a good night sleep without worrying about drifting etc...
The boat is a 26 foot c&c and i have two danforths on it...
Not really interested in donating any of these What to use? am i doomed?

I'm located in Lion's Head, Ontario, Canada.
Any info would be appreciated, links etc...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
If the search engine doesn't lead you to the many discussions of anchoring, look on the web. There's plenty of information out there, including heated debate about what's best.

Generally, if you can lift an anchor, it's not big enough. < g >

It helps if you learn to sleep with one eye open while at anchor. Or at least, a good anchor position alarm on the GPS.
Old 07-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm not a big fan of Danforths as a primary anchor. They don't reset well in many cases of shifting current or wind direction, are horrible in many types of bottom, other than sand or mud, and tend to foul fairly easily in the case of a wind/current shift.

I'd recommend a 10-15 kg next generation anchor--a Rocna (which is what I have); Bulwagga; Spade; Buegel; or Manson Supreme.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-01-2007

Everlong is on a distinguished road
hellosailor: thanks for advice lol...

Sailindog: Rocna? even for rocky bottoms? or should i use a combination of some sort?
Old 08-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
rocky bottoms are problematic for most anchors, and generally, the best thing to do with rocky bottoms is have a really heavy anchor.

I didn't recommend the Rocna specifically, since that would probably trigger a response from Alain or Craig... but I do like my Rocna. My major complaint with it is how much muck it brings up each time I've used it. It usually has 15-30 lbs of bottom on it when it comes up. UGh... a major cleaning mess.

On my boat (a 28' 4000 lbs trimaran) I have a 15 kg Rocna as my primary anchor and a 14 lb. Danforth as a kedge. One of these days I'm going to get a better kedge anchor, maybe a Delta, but haven't done so yet.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-01-2007

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Winfield Basin ?

Run up to Winfield basin it is sheltered and a nice anchorage. Anchoring on your side of the peniusula is pretty exposed and not something I would be too keen on. Generaly it is good to get in behind an island etc.

If you have two Danforths you do need to get another style. They work pretty well in mud, sand and clay if you can get them to set properly and no wind or current shifts but for rock you do need something heavier.

Gary
Old 08-01-2007
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Many people reccomend a CQR / Claw anchor specificaly for anchoring in rocky bottom areas. As discussed / debated in another thread, these can be used in tandem with your existing danforth to increase the holding power.
Old 08-01-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Here we go again . . . Mr. Smith should be chiming in soon.
Old 08-01-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Delta, Spade,Rocna,Manson, CQR,and Bruce are all much better choices for rocky bottoms than Danforth. Read the threads & you may find one more appealing than another. You need to penetrate and hold OR hook in such circumstances. Learn about rigging a trip line too if you want to get your anchor back!
Old 08-01-2007

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
A lot of yacht clubs and sailing groups run swap meets. This is a great place to pick up anchors cheaply. Also if you know any divers, ask them to keep an eye open for a "donated" anchor. Tell them you'll buy it from them.
I was diving on wreck in block Island sound last year and I picked up a brand new 35 lb delta and about 120 feet of three strand and 20' of chain all new. I sold it for $150.00 at a swap meet. Chances are that divers have donated anchors in their garages already. All the wreck divers I know have a real hard time leaving anything of value behind.
2007 Hunter 49