Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
If you anchor off the stern it will tame the riding a fair bit...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Lancer28 is on a distinguished road
ok how about this - could I anchor off the stern, with a storm jib up front? which side is the storm stay sails trimmed to? Backed or "ready to go" like as if I were using it to provide propulsion?

Another thing I want to try is the bridle, anchored from the bow combined with a stay sail in the back, again same question, how should I trim it? (I do have a trysail I could use)
Old 08-30-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Those riding sails help substantially in reducing the over active swinging at anchor of some boat designs. They are designed to be dead flat, no camber and no drive - basically a weathercock. - not sure a storm jib would do the job.

The don't eliminate the swing, but they do reduce it and more importantly keep the surging at each end of the swing way down. Friends who winter in the Caribbean had a real problem with swinging, and the end of rode surge did in fact occasionally trip their substantial anchor in squalls.

We had a riding sail we never used and gave it to them. They report a reduced, but more importantly, a gentler swinging action and now use it every time they are on the hook.

Possible problems I can see with anchoring astern or on the quarter is you will tend to funnel the breeze into the boat - good on hot days but may be uncomfortable at times - and increased windage from a dodger.
Old 08-30-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
In addition to the aerodynamic problem faster pointed out, most boats are not designed to deploy or retrieve an anchor effectively from the stern.

Your stern lacks an anchor pulpit and roller, there's no windlass and most likely improper cleat size/backers and chocks to carry the increased loads which created the swinging problem in the first place.
Old 08-30-2007
I'm the FNG still...

ok so how about anchoring from the front with a line attached to the anchor rode on a block and I can attach to the aft of the boat and pull it in to "lean" the rode to one direction?

Will this help? See drawing.
Attached Thumbnails
Preventing or reducing anchor swinging-drawing.jpg  
Old 08-30-2007
I'm the FNG still...

I just thought about this a little more, I would have to use a knot on the rode to keep the lines at angles, otherwise I think the aft line would creep back to the bow.
Old 08-30-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Seems like a reasonable solution lancer. But, I wouldn't get as elaborate as using a block permanently connected to your rode. Seems like just another mechanical link which could fail.

A better design would be to simply use a chain hook, clipped to the anchor chain and attached to a 3-strand nylon rope. The bitter end of the rope would then be cleated, as shown in your drawing.
Old 08-30-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
TB, I don't think he'll have chain to attach to at that point... it would be rope rode-to-rope.

Not sure I'd want to tie a knot along the rode for that. Better to prefab a bridle for the purpose and attach the rode to the mid point somehow.
Old 08-30-2007
Señor Member

I know his 10 feet of chain wouldn't work - he would need to increase it anyway. I first recommended that he add more chain and use a double bridle with a central chainhook.

We never swing at anchor, even while watching some boats around us acting like carnival rides. This could be due to our all-chain rode and double bridle . . . could also be we displace 9 tons. Either way, weight, bottom shape and rode triangulation all factor in preventing swing.
Old 08-30-2007

stevemac00 is on a distinguished road
Lancer, you're describing an anchor bridle which is commonly used to point a boat into swells instead of wind. You got the right idea. Let out more scope than usual (about 25% more). Tie your bridle line on with a rolling hitch and lead back outside to a winch. Now adjust the rode and/or line to get the point you want. Don't worry about the rolling hitch - it will stay tight and still be easy to untie. Cheers.