Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007

rperret is on a distinguished road
I think there's nothing wrong with starting at ANY age. Better late than never.

You may also want to read Tom Froncek's book - A Spendid Madness. It's about a man who learned to sail in his late middle age. A wonderful read, and will give you a perspective of this "madness" we call sailing!

http://www.amazon.com/Splendid-Madne.../dp/1574091794

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakynthos View Post
As a first post, and a new member on this forum, I thought I would seek some wisdom from those who may be or have been in a similar point in their lives.
I'm approaching 60, have nourished the idea of sailing for many years yet have only managed to actually do so three times for short bursts of ten days at a time in very tame conditions (luckily) and with minimal instruction. A first cruise with skipper on a sail and learn type charter, a second with skipper for half of the period followed by my taking charge for the rest and ditto for the third time. That was more than fifteen years ago. Since then I've taken a basic keelboat course. That was four years ago. I feel nowhere near competency and think I was foolhardy to have actually twice taken charge way back then.
Since I may be free of job responsabilities in the next two years and since I still feel good when I think of sailing I've come to the conclusion that it's now or never as the song says.
My plan is to first of all test the reality of sailing at this age against my recollection of it then and bring myself to feel secure in actually being in charge of a boat with people on it. Maybe I've idealized it all, maybe I'm too old to learn properly (and safely). I plan to get RYA certification, charter next summer for two weeks (with friends who have no sailing experience but who we get along very well with), repeat the process (course and charter) the summer after and if the dream has survived, look into buying a boat once I have the time to actually sail it for a good three or four months at a time.
My hope is that those of you still reading this somewhat lengthy post might supply me with your thoughts on what I might look out for on the road to actually going from wannabe sailor to just sailor.
Thanks in advance and sorry if this isn't the type of post for this forum.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2007
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
not too old!

Welcome, Z! And go for it. If we could do it, so could you.

My husband grew up in dryland Kansas, first time EVER on a sailboat he was 50. One-week liveaboard learn-to-sail course in the Caribbean, and many books later he's developed a lot of expertise ... we've now lived aboard our 33-footer for 5 years and he coaches sailing at the U.S Naval Academy. Not bad for a farm boy!

Rememnber every year you spend sailing is a year SUBTRACTED from your calendar age.
Old 09-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Eryka-

Does that mean you don't age if you spend every year sailing???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.