Reefing, Spiral Lacing vs single line and how to tell what you've got? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Just keep in mind that each block introduces friction. With single line reefing, there's a lot of line to pull in and it goes a fair distance. It may be difficult to get good tension on the clew end of the line. On my boat, I have two line reefing. I've replaced the hook on the boom with a padeye on the mast. With a line, I go from the padeye to the reef tack cringle to a block at the base of the mast to the cockpit. To reef, I drop the main to the appropriate spot (pre-marked on the main halyard), tighten on the tack reefing line, tighten the main halyard and then tighten the leech reefing line. By having two lines I reduce friction and the amount of line that has to be pulled in. Either way you're good though... and if you run it back to the cockpit along with your halyard, you don't have to go forward to reef.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me

Last edited by labatt; 09-11-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Lancer-

A two-line setup is actually better for sail shape. You can read about why that is the case here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-11-2007

mike dryver is on a distinguished road
thank you all for clearing this up for me also, as we have only had our boat 3 yrs. and couldn't figure out how to set up the reef on it as i had never seen a clear illustration of it before. sorry not trying to steel thread, but couldn't help but put in my 2 cents of grat.
Old 09-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Glad to help Mike...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-11-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Reefing line Termination

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Labatt's suggestion of tying a bowline around the boom only will work if you have a loose footed main or one with slugs along the foot. If you have a main with a boltrope, you'll have to tie the rope to the padeye instead.
Any main should have slugs/eyes in the foot below the position of the reef cringles, if there is not other arrangement for terminating the reefing line, so that the reefing line can circle the boom and tie to itself. My main has a boltrope with such provision.

If you secure the reefing line to a padeye on the bottom of the boom, then the reefing line will not pull the reef clew to the boom, but to one SIDE of the boom. At the very least the foot of the sail wont set right, given all the force on the line, it could have other undesired results.

The way I lead the reefing line from the end of the boom is:
- through the reef clew, starboard to port
- down the port side of the main
- through the eye in the foot, above the boom, port to starboard
- under the boom and up the port side , where I secure its end in a bowline around the reefing line where it enters the eye.

When winched hard, this arrangement should permit the reef clew to be pulled all the way to the boom, touching the center of the boom.

If you look carefully at the diagram and text in CAPTTB's picture, this is how the reefing line is terminated.

Last edited by sailingfool; 09-11-2007 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Here's another picture, my R24 is reefed this way, very common. I would recommend against single line reefing as you show, most sucessful ones I've seen have reduced the points of 'turning/friction' somehow.

You reef both points from the starboard side of mast in this setup and you can do it easily sitting or kneeling down. Takes maybe a minute once you've done it a few times. With hooks it's even faster.

Last edited by tenuki; 09-12-2007 at 12:10 AM.