Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Difficult in a larger ship. I had to do it once when the engine was down. Brisk conditions, tack, tack through the moored boats right to the head of the harbour... (Tarbert, Loch Fyne, Scotland), turn, kill sails and ghost dead downwind. It was a long pontoon, so we could get a man ashore early and stop the ship with warps.

Out of necessity only... it gave me the jitters.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
You mean like this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JATSpxlB3...related&search=

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 09-18-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I routinely do this with my 38 footer which actually goes into the slip stern first. The key here is to have adequate searoom be able to turn up wind and almost stop the boat. You will need to practice this a couple times until you are confident.

Before making my approach, I make sure the halyards and sheets are free to run. The way that I do this is to turn the boat so that you end up head to wind directly upwind of where you want to end up on the dock. As soon as the boat is upwind of the dock, you drop the sails quickly to the deck. Most boats will forereach upwind long enough to get the sails down quickly. Before the boat stops moving forward I through the helm hard over and point the boat downwind generally toward the dock. My boat forereaches far enough that I can usually get the sail flaked on the way downwind. You need to allow enough room to make the turn into the dock. In my case I turn parrallel to the out board pilings, grab my bowline standing near the stern, pull the boat to stop, spin the wheel hard over, and then pull the ole girl backward into the slip.

Of course is you are simply landing along side of a dock, the key is to have some line that you can grab to stop the boat.

It sounds worse than it is.

Jeff
Old 09-18-2007

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
If you have enough wind, you can drop both the main and jib, and the wind on the hull will provide enough drive to push the boat downwind into a slip. It doesn't require a lot of wind - just enough to push the boat fast enough so that she has steerageway.

If the wind is light, and you need some sail to help you move the boat, I would recommend that you use the mainsail, rather than the jib. The reason is that sailboats don't have brakes, so you have to keep your speed under control as you enter a slip. If your jib is hanked-on, then you can't furl the jib to control your speed. If the wind gusts when you are close to the slip, the jib will fill and accelerate the boat too fast, and something bad is almost sure to happen. I prefer to use the mainsail when docking downwind under sail, because I can ease the main halliard, allowing all but the top part of the sail to fall to the deck. Only a small part of the mainsail will still be raised a few feet above the boom, and that will be enough to move the boat into the slip. If a gust of wind comes along, that small bit of mainsail probably won't accelerate the boat enough to present a problem, but, if it does, then I can just let the halliard go and let the rest of the mainsail fall to the deck.

If the jib is on a furler, then you can furl the jib enough to limit the boat's speed as it approaches the slip.
Old 09-18-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
That would be fun...to park my boat on sail....even without sails it moves....

I parked several times with my old boat, but only when conditions would allow...

with this one...can't afford that....besides my beam doesn't allow much play, does it Marc??
Old 09-18-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Thats was some smooth s#!t. I think that the most wonderful thing in the world is how many people have video cameras. Isn't it great that these fine sailors will now live on forever and ever in the digital realm, where as 20 years ago only a handful of people would have seen that maneuver....... I love it.
Old 09-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
But you can't see the name of the boat... So their anonymity is preserved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-18-2007

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
One of the neatest down-wind dockings I have ever seen was a man single handing his 30 footer. He had a long line run form the bow cleat (under the lifelines) then back to tie off at the aft cleat with a lot of slack. The slack was looped back over the top of the lifelines and was in the cockpit. As he approached the peir, he dropped all sails and just coasted towards the dock. When he got to about ten feet away he tossed the rope over a bollard and veered away using his rudder.
The boat was brought to a complete stop and he then warped himself back to the peir. Because the rope ran from the front cleat to the back, he could easily pull the boat in to snug up side on to the dock, neat as anything. It was literally about 30 seconds form the time he dropped sails to when he was standing on the dock to throw the line across a second bollard so that the boat stayed side on to the dock once he walked away.
Neatest thing I ever saw. I asked him about it and he said it is how they always used to stop dinghies and skiffs he used to race. He just brought it with him for big boats, and he couldn't beleive everyone didn't just do it.

In especially bad winds and such, you would just use your sheet winch instead of hauling yourself back.

Sasha
Old 09-19-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
I especially liked the guy on the dock getting knocked down by the boom.

Last edited by tenuki; 09-19-2007 at 01:53 AM.
Old 09-19-2007
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
Not me...maybe in a daysailer but 9,500 lbs, wind, current too much math and feel. Maybe someday but if I really 'had' to and the motor is out...its SEATOW. I have seen talented sailors move a big boat around in tight spots, its like ballett. Likely years of experience. I'll watch.

Last edited by Joesaila; 09-19-2007 at 07:20 AM. Reason: dumbness