Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Lancer28 is on a distinguished road
Cool Jib Sheet Woes

This is a little like SemiJim's post, but I've got to deal with a genoa sheet. Obviously, the location of the block would change with the size of sail, 100-120-150-170, but I have drawn a simple example just to help out.

If you can't read it, I'll try my hand with fireworks to get a good computer photo made up.

I have it running back from the sail to a turning block on the rail, then up to a winch. In almost any condition this is a huge PITA to singlehand this boat with both sails up. I need three hands to hold the helm, main and lastly the jib.

In higher winds, I don't like cleating them because I want to be able to let them blow out -- the breezes here are never the same, and if the wind blows, it is usually in front of a big storm so get ready to hang on to your panties!

I have a picture drawn up here, maybe this will help with how I should be routing the lines from the sheet:

Questions:

1 Is there a way to increase purchase on the jibsheet to be able to trim it in where I am not destroying my hands or turning my little sausages blue over a period of a few hours?

2 Is it OK to route around a winch (bottom picture) to the other winch so I can sit on the weather side? I don't like sitting on the low side, it changes my visibility.

3 Are all three of my boats with staysails designed to cleat and winch off of the low side, or am I on crack and I am routing these wrong? Geez it would have helped to get an instruction book with at least one of these boats!

4 How are you guys holding the two sheets and helm at once? I generally hold both in one hand and the wheel in the other, or use my helmer to hold me on course while I fiddle with one line in each hand, IF I CAN'T FEEL COMFORTABLE CLEATING OFF BECAUSE OF GUSTS (of course)

I can't recall asking this question to myself when I was out sailing with other people, so I can't remember how they were doing it, and why I'm asking here.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2007
I'm the FNG still...

my scanner crapped, hang on I'm getting the picture ready now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-21-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Lancer, to me seems like your sailing method needs revising, not the boat....it depends on how big your main is in relation to your genoa, and if your rig is fractional or not, and what is your boat's tendency in a puff...does it develop a lot of weather helm???

I think you should cleat the main, and fix it..then just hold the genoa sheets in your hand. Releasing on puffs, this is not very good, or do the opposite...

Cleat the genoa and use the main in the puffs...this is what you should do...

Don't sail with both in your hands...
Old 09-21-2007
I'm the FNG still...

i don't get much weather helm on any of the boats unless I'm slow and let the sail get sloppy. I must be lucky; my boats are balanced nice. I have heard some stories about yachts with bad weather helm and how much people like to lie about it, hahaha!

The 323 and the 28 have mastheads, the 14 footer has a fractional.

Photo:

Old 09-21-2007
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
Are you trying to race the boat or just cruising. It doesn't sound like your getting the right trim if your constantly having to sheet out in a gust. The boat shouldn't be heeling so far over, that you can't heel a bit more with the gusts. If your heeled that far over to begin with, you should have a reef in both sails.
!! WARNING !! The above information is to be used by intelligent people only. If you are Stupid, could be considered a moron, or otherwise. You are instructed to disregard this information and seek the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
Old 09-21-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Ok so let me see if I got you right.

I should hang on to the main and helm? (I can uncleat the main from that huge harken block I have on it by simply snappping the line and it comes out of the cam.

The genoa sheet would go from a winch to the cleat, tied off.

Use the main to control heel in a puff.

How about my wacky routing to be able to sit on the high side of the boat?

Old 09-21-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Lancer, you can allways install a swivel rotating cam cleat on each side, (basically its a cleat installed on a rotating base), and then you cleat the genoa which now will be easy to release, by pulling the shhet up.

Still I think its your technique, rather than the boat.

You may also install a clutch type cleat before the genoa which and simply use the winch to sheet in, then close the clutch.
Old 09-21-2007
I'm the FNG still...

No racing, just cruising around. The problem with reefing is that the wind here is generally light, and then out of nowhere you can get a wind tha racks the nerves quick.

If I reef, it seems to never blow, if I don't it always blows fast. Then I need to release the sheets, reef, and go back to sailing, almost reactionally, not being proactive.

I don't like to heel over 20 degrees in the bigger boats, even though I know it will sail at way over that, even close to 30-35 with the rail in the water. The 14 footer dinghy sails FAST heeled over with a rail in the water and I don't care about what happens if I go too far with it, because getting wet in that boat happens all of the time anyhow from spray or just the open cockpit.

It is a comfort thing I guess. does that help?

Old 09-21-2007

Yes, you normally cleat the genoa and only carry main and rudder in your hand...release the gusts with the main only.

This way, if your main sheet block rotates, which it should, does not matter where you seat...does it??
Old 09-21-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Oh! The rotating cleat and clutch should be a good idea. Both things I can quickly put on the boats.