Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007

nolatom will become famous soon enough
You mentioned difficulty in getting her to head up. If you haven't reefed the main in time, nor "reefed" the jib or switched to a smaller one, you'll end up with lee helm in the puffs. Why? Because you let your main all the way out, completely luffing, to keep the boat on her feet so she doesn't heel too much (gentle hint: it's "heel" not "keel").

The result is a luffing main and a full jib, too much center of effort forward, lee helm, won't head up, so you can't luff the jib with just the tiller, you have to let it out (or trim the main back in) to restore neutral or weather helm. If you're heading downwind, the lee helm will diminish, and you can broad reach with just jib and no main just fine. But you can't go upwind that way, and you were trying to claw your way off a lee shore, so you needed the main.

This is why I favor reducing headsail size first, 'cause it's harder to do after the wind and seas pick up, while reefing the main can usually be done safely even if it's screeching, as long as you still have some headsail to close-reach with during the process. Also, if the roller reef/furling turntable is going to jam, I'd rather know it at 18 knots than at 28.

All things considered, for a beginner you did okay. Keep it up, you learn something each time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2007

Rshanks is on a distinguished road
I appreciate all of the input so far. It's nice to have the collective experience of so many shared here.
Old 09-28-2007
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Nolatom You said that so very well!! I finally understand the dynamic! I have found it is ALWAYS easier to shake out a reefed sail then tie it in under diminissing conditions. REEF REEF REEF!

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-28-2007
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
err... dee min ish ing = deminishing duh

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-28-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
err... dee min ish ing = deminishing duh
Actually denise it's di-min-ish-ing = diminishing

spelling's not my best trait either.
Old 09-29-2007
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
I'd really like to sneak one more sail in tomorrow -- but the forecast is 27mph average. *sigh*
Old 09-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
With a ketch rig - raise sail from stern to stem, furl from stem to stern. Piece of cake.
Actually, I believe this is true of almost any rig... sloop, ketch, yawl, or schooner.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-29-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post
I'd really like to sneak one more sail in tomorrow -- but the forecast is 27mph average. *sigh*
Being on land and wishing you were out on the water is always preferable to being out on the water and wishing you were on land.
Old 09-30-2007

nibiruwayne is on a distinguished road
When to Reef

We try to sail as if we had no engine and when using the engine be ready if it should fail. I have even killed the engine on occasion to see how we would manage. We just encountered 20 ft seas with shor periods in the Med and we were stopped dead in our tracks at 1 knt over grnd with 40knts wind on the nose. We reversed course and steered NW for shelter and still had a challenge in the following seas. Autopilot was off and we hand steered. We knew we had ten or twelve hours before we could get out of it. Nobody wanted any more of it than required. Sorry for this lengthy story, but it makes the point that if it's bad it can really get worse with just a few mishaps. Nibiruwayne
Old 10-01-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
1) Count yourself lucky nothing really bad happened.
2) You now know why to pay attention to conditions, the first time you think of reefing just do it.

If you are going hull speed in 15 knots, and it picks up to 20, exactly what are you gaining by not reducing sail? Sometimes you'll reef and actually see an increase in boat speed. Reefing is good, not bad. My boat likes it's first reef someplace between 15 and 18 knots.

The weather helm of the boat will tell you what to do, once your traveler is far to lee and there is still significant weather helm you better reef. You should always be sailing with under 5 degrees weather helm on most boats, 3 is more ideal for most I think. Otherwise you are actually slowing your boat down. for most boats if the rail is in the water you are sailing slower than you could be.

Once you put your first reef in experiment with balancing the boat with the roller furler. Heres' the basic idea to control weather helm in rough order.

1) traveler - move to leeward to relieve weather helm. usually start doing this around 10 knots.
2) main/genny - depower by flattening sails (tighter sheets, tighter boom vang, tighter outhaul, tighter halyards) generally done in 10-15 knots
3) main - add twist (ease sheet/boomvang in right combination) to spill air off the top of the sail
4) reef main
5) reef genny about 20-30%
6) repeat 4 and 5 in alternation until you are sailing on bare poles, then..
7) panic.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.