SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Kids Sailing camps (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/37311-kids-sailing-camps.html)

Bardo 10-02-2007 03:03 PM

Kids Sailing camps

Joy of Joys, my 8 y/o daughter Emma asked me this week if she could go to sailing camp next year. And I didn't even have to bribe her! Anyone know of any good (really good) kids programs in the MD or mid-atlantic region? I know of the Annapolis Sailing School program, but not really any others. There is also a good program at St. Mary's college in Southern MD. Any other thoughts? I would like her expereince to be a great one.
Thanks,
Freeman

JohnRPollard 10-04-2007 02:15 PM

Bardo,

If you are looking for day-camp, SMSA (Southern Maryland Sailing Association) right there in Solomons has a program. Heading further up the Western Shore, West River Sailing Club (WRSC) in Galesville also has a good program.

If you are looking for an overnight camp program, YMCA Camp Letts on the Rhode River in Edgewater has a traditional program, including a sailing camp.

For the past five years or so, we have been sailing over to St. Michael's for the first week of summer break where our kids have been enrolled in the sailing camp at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum. We prefer CBMM's format because it is 1/2 day, rather than all-day. It can be brutal for kids to have to spend an entire day out on the water during a typical Chesapeake summer.

If you are a member of CBMM you can turn it into a family vacation and spend the week on your boat at the museum slips. St. Michael's is an easy place to spend a week, there's plenty to do and there's an ACME grocery store a short walk from the museum for provisioning.

As for getting your daughter into sailing, yeah, definitely do the camps, but my best suggestion is to make sure you have a sailing dinghy as a tender. If you have an inflatable, sell it and find a used Dyer or build an Eastport Pram. Camps are good for learning but the kids neeed to be able to practice at anchor the rest of the time...

Bardo 10-07-2007 09:42 PM

John,
The Calvert Marine Museum has a boat building workshop, where you can build a small boat with your child. I think we will do that next year. The St. Michaels camp sounds great. I will research that. Solomons is closest, but a week in St, Michaels would be very cool. Sorry for the late reply!

Thanks,
Freeman

Bardo 10-08-2007 01:34 PM

Otaga05,
Thanks, and you hit a soft spot. I love Maine, and have been trying to get my family to move there for years. i would love to cruise up there, and it would be great for Emma to learn to sail there. Maybe we rent a cottage at Blue Hill while Emma is sailing. Something to look into.
Thanks Again.

Freeman

tenuki 10-15-2007 03:13 PM

anything you guys know of in the Seattle area? I'm already looking at the sand point sail school, but wondering about 'camp' experiences.