Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2007

WillingNewbie is on a distinguished road
Question Liveaboard sailing school

Hello everyone,

I'm about to leave soon for a longterm travel experience with no return date. I have many destinations like south America, Australia, Thailand, Vietnam and everything in between. The destination is not important, it's the journey !
One thing I always wanted to do was to live aboard a sailboat, learn sailing and try the high sea experience. I thought of waiting and meet someone during my traveling and apply as a crew, but I would rather pay more to be on a bigger boat with more crew and be an official "student".

A friend of a friend told me about a school that went from the New England area to Australia in a year and a half... That is wicked but it's a little too much.
I have my basic sailing down, on lake, but without becoming a captain I want to try the high seas and even make a crossing.

Anyone knows a boat that does that. I read an article about a man taking students form California to Fiji, New-Zealand and Australia, that is exactly what I would want but I lost the article and can't find anything on the net !

Thanks for any advice !!

Francois
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2007

nolatom will become famous soon enough
I like your dream, but being a conservative type, if I were you I'd try some coastwise cruising before trying to cross any of the really big "ponds". Several sailing schools offer cruising classes, or you can charter a boat with skipper, who will teach you and let you do as much (or little) of the sailing as you want.

Plenty of "high seas" out there 30 miles offshore to learn on, before you go 2000 miles offshore, and it's just as authentic, it's just that the "safety net" is closer if you need it.
Old 10-14-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
So far I have found this and this. This too.

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 10-14-2007 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-15-2007

Merci for the feedback !
I agree that going for coast sailing would make more sense and I could do that anywhere during my trip... but...
Allow me to adjust my description of what I'm looking for, I missed it a bit the first time.
The ideal situation for me would be to find someone willing to take some newbies (on a crossing if possible) and have them work and learn. In the end there is no certification that comes with it only the experience. It really comes back to an article I read in an adventure journal (which I forgot the name too) where a captain and his crew would take every year a dozen people across the pacific to Australia. The passengers worked and learned the whole way; I think it was 2 months or so.
I am reluctant to apply as a crew since I might not like it as much as I think I will and if that happens I would rather be with a dozen people than 3 I don't really know.
I am sure some captains are out there doing these kinds of trips and probably not associated to official schools with website etc. A few people told me : "Oh a friend of my uncle did something like that... but they have not talked for a long time..." or "I met someone who herd someone say that he saw a dude... " Just enough to tease me and make me dig for more.
I appreciate all feedback and / or critics !
Old 10-15-2007
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
If what you are looking for is more open ended, it will be hard to find. If you are looking for a short term experience it really depends on what you want to accomplish and where. The sailing sites that have already been put forth are but a few if you do a search on sailboat charters, ASA, Offshore, etc..

One option that I find appealing is at www.mahina.com . They have a schedule of their cruising plans and berth availability now through 2010. You can do anything from a week in the Panama Canal for $2000 to a month from Fiji to NZ for $6000. You learn and perform as crew as you go. They have been doing this for over 15 years, and seem very successful.
Old 10-15-2007

The boat I read about charged 50-60$ / day which is in my budget. I can't afford an official offshore course or charters and I also don't really want that either.
I expect to peal potatoes and mop the floor !
A big boat with cheap rugged adventurers )
Old 10-15-2007
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Hell, my own boat ends up costing me more than $50-60 a day for a season. If you find this adventure, and after you book yours, share it with others. At that price I might move aboard. Does it include food?
Old 10-15-2007

It did include food. I curse myself for loosing the article. (it was 10 years ago so inflation included... let's say 75$/day)
It was a bit more expensive then to apply for crew with shared expenses. I read on other forums (or this one I can't remeber) that more than 50$/day for shared expense is excessive. The boat in the article was big enough to take a dozen crew/student passenger on, that is probably why it was so cheap 75$/day/person... 900$/day to pay for expense / captain and crew. Sounds possible no ?
Old 10-15-2007
No I dont remember

Raggbagger is on a distinguished road
Pride of Baltimore II does exactly what your looking for give em a call , other than that , just go . Go and jump on a boat thats heading out , chances are theres another one out there waiting for someone just like you . I would try and be on the getting paid side of things rather than the paying side of things . What your talking about is possible just go do it .

Godspeed and have fun

P.S. Be prepaired to work hard and take flak
Old 10-15-2007

Ok now that is one big boat !
It's not cheap though, but it's a good contact to have, awesome.
I will make sure to post my findings when I do too.
I appreciate the encouragment, I have been putting off this trip for a while. I'm only 28 but it's amazing how I got tangled into a "career" job and stable life style...
What does "take flak" mean ? Like "move your ass!" type ?