Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2007

punjabi is on a distinguished road
Watch Out!

I just finished ASA 101 and took my first "solo" with my wife last weekend.

We managed to make it back in one piece (boat and crew), and only accidently gybed twice and cut through a yacht club race course once. Oh well, I can hide behind beginner status for at least another 5-10 years I figure.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
That would be a duet wouldn't it? Perhaps more difficult and risky than a true solo. Congrats to both of you.

What are the plans now that you've survived boot camp? Charter / crew / buy / all of the above?
Old 10-22-2007

Thanks.

We're looking to buy. Interested in 30' cruisers. Looking at a 1990 Catalina. I've posted a thread looking for opinions:

Opinions on listed Catalina...

I'm a little worried about the work that has been done to it, but otherwise, it looks like a pretty decent deal.
Old 10-22-2007
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Nice Cat 30!

Punjabi. there is not much to dislike about cat 30s. there are 5 in my yacht club. Lots and lots of room. lots of beam. big cockpit, easy to single hand if it's set up for it. If it's not a tall rig you may be unhappy with light air performance. the keel to hull joint on most needs to be reset to get rid of the "catalina smile" they all have. great first boat!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-23-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
Punjabi,

One nice thing about Catalina 30's are that they are like buses, if you miss this one, there will be another one along shortly. I would also worry about the work that's been done. See the boat yourself and check out that hull id number issue. The story about the mast doesn't wash, IMO. That's two strikes. It's way better, IMO, to miss out on a good boat than to buy a bad one. Presume that they are all guilty until proven innocent.

When you see the boat, don't be afraid to poke into all the dark corners. This is a used boat buying guide I've used and posted before. Some of the Canadian info doesn't apply and the prices are a few years out of date. Check out the inspection link. It's not a substitute for a professional survey, but it will help narrow the field. Bring a scewdriver, take notes and photos. Prepare questions and jot down the answers.

Enjoy the shopping experience.
Old 10-23-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by punjabi View Post
only accidently gybed twice and cut through a yacht club race course once.
Sounds like a typical day sailing for me and I'm out of beginner status by your definition.

Welcome to sailnet and sailing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-23-2007

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
"...cut through a yacht club race course once..."

The racers may rise up in righteous indignation, but they don't have an inherent right to the water just because they are racing. I sail off of Annapolis and so there are a fair number of races on the weekends. I do try to avoid screwing any of them up unduly, but often they are covering a wide area, an area that I am traversing based on wind conditions. The time I pay more attention to races is in light air. I have actually started the engine and motored around racers on a few occasions.
Old 10-23-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
FWB race a tug pulling a barge drove through the course, that was fun. between that and all the last wave super fast boats coming through at a 90 degree angle the second leg was a bit too exciting. At least the aircraft carrier waited till the race was over to sail through.

Old 10-23-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHand View Post
Punjabi,

One nice thing about Catalina 30's are that they are like buses, if you miss this one, there will be another one along shortly. I would also worry about the work that's been done. See the boat yourself and check out that hull id number issue. The story about the mast doesn't wash, IMO. That's two strikes. It's way better, IMO, to miss out on a good boat than to buy a bad one. Presume that they are all guilty until proven innocent.

When you see the boat, don't be afraid to poke into all the dark corners. This is a used boat buying guide I've used and posted before. Some of the Canadian info doesn't apply and the prices are a few years out of date. Check out the inspection link. It's not a substitute for a professional survey, but it will help narrow the field. Bring a scewdriver, take notes and photos. Prepare questions and jot down the answers.

Enjoy the shopping experience.
Thanks everyone...and thanks for the guide CapnHand!

I think I'm going to pass on the Cat. The more I think about it, the more I'm feeling uneasy about the work. And since they are so common, I think I'll wait for the next one (or 10) to look at.