Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sounds like a good rule, however, I still think that some accommodation for the stretch in the sail cloth should be made. Larger the sail, further back the block should be, within reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartan34C View Post
When I laid out the hardware for reefing on the boom I always set it up so that the aft face of the turning block for the reef outhaul was on a 45 degree angle to the cringle when it was at the boom. If possible I would mount the block on a track so it could be adjusted but if it was to be fixed I used the 45 degree rule.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Sounds like a good rule, however, I still think that some accommodation for the stretch in the sail cloth should be made. Larger the sail, further back the block should be, within reason.
that is why i suggested that the reefing line point to the middle of the main luff, this rule works for all occasions sizes, etc.

Old 10-29-2007

Yugi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Yugi
Hey don't forget to adjust the boom topping lift if need be. If your main sheet is in all the way but your leachline still bellys out you need to lower it.
Boom and top batten should be parrallel.
Old 10-29-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
The rule is - you can't have the sheave too far aft, but you can have it too far forward. The justification for this statement is apparent in looking at the sheave set up on new booms, the sheaves are located in the endcap of the boom. On my boom, the sheaves for reef 1, reef 2 and reef 3 and all at the end of the boom.

It would be worth reading this tread Reefing, Spiral Lacing vs single line and how to tell what you've got? and in particular looking at the picture CAPTTB posted. Note the reefing sheaves are all in the end of the boom. If the sheave is aft enough and the end of the reefing line is correctly tied around the boom and back to itself, then tensioning the line will both stretch the foot aft and pull the leech down, until the cringle is on the boom and the foot is flat, or until you run out of power. There should be no need for additional lines. That thread has a post from me regarding how to tie the end of the reefing line, as the picture is a little hard to see.
Old 10-30-2007
Helms ALee!

interesting, thanks!

Old 10-31-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Frankly, if the reef clewline is tied properly it does not matter how far aft of the clew the turning block is placed as long as the line leaving the block is 45 degrees or flatter. The key here is that the line leaves the turning block and pass through the reef clew cringle and then return to the boom where it is tied off reasonably tightly to the boom. The idea is that the portion of the line that heads to the line around the boom holds the sail down close to the boom and the line coming from the block acts as an outhail pulling the sail aft. In combination they stretch out the foot and allow the vang and mainsheet to tighten the leech of the sail.

Jeff
Old 10-31-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
T,,here ya go

Here is a stupid simple system that allows triming....with 2 lines

And another stupid simple system with one line...only requires you put a foot block at the mast!!

Old 10-31-2007
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Alex, you forgot about the stupid simple one-line system that has a hook ("reefing horn") at the gooseneck, meaning no reefing lines at the luff at all...
Old 10-31-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Hartley, I did not forget.

These were drawngs I used once HERE, with the purpose of ilustrating Jeffe's post before mine.
Old 10-31-2007
Helms ALee!

note to idiot literalists regarding Giulietta's drawing:

Please substitute a padeye on the boom in place of the blowline if your boat doesn't have a footless main.

Thank-you for listening, now back to your regular programming.