Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2007

merttan is on a distinguished road
Question Sailing Schools around CT

Hi there,
My wife wants to take a sailing course for sailing our day cruiser. Is there any schools you can recommend around Connecticut that she can attend?
And here is another question; is there a school for learning cruising sailboat sailing, instead of a sailing dingy school? I'm looking to purchase a 30 footer next year and wondering if I can handle it with my experienceon my 22 footer.
Thank you.

Materialism: Buying the things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter.

Last edited by merttan; 11-04-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Well, since no-one else jumped in here, and it's one of the few topics that I have any experience with.... Sound Sailing Center in Norwalk. I've posted about them before, do a search if you want, I'm too rushed to spend the time you deserve, sorry.

http://www.soundsailingcenter.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 11-05-2007

mstern is on a distinguished road
There's also a place in New London. The name escapes me now, but they have a sailing club (pay a flat fee and have scheduled use of their boats) with many different size boats, and certification classes. You can also get a skipper to give you lessons on your own boat. These guys work out of Branford:

http://www.sail-works.com/
Old 11-05-2007

Thumbs up Thanks Guys!

Thanks a lot, I'll start checking them out...

Materialism: Buying the things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter.
Old 11-05-2007
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
I do not know any sailing schools, but I would say that if you can sail a dinghy or a 22 ft boat, a 30 ft cruiser will be easier to sail. Generally speaking, especially with cruisers, the larger the boat the easier to sail, as things happen much slower than on a dinghy. Now ownership, that is the opposite, generally speaking, the larger the boat the more complicated the systems, thus your knowledge and skills with plumbing, mechanical, electrical, etc. need to be greater.
Old 11-06-2007

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
merrttan
Sail the sounds is down in Mystic

http://www.sailthesounds.com/training.html

Pretty good school. Have charter boats available and fractional ownership programs as well.
I figure that you sail out of New London based on the avatar pic.
2007 Hunter 49
Old 11-06-2007

schred is on a distinguished road
I used to keep my boat at Crocker's Boatyard in New London. There is a sailing school there also. The captain teaches on a Catalina 28. I think you can find his website by going to Hellier's Yachts and finding a link there. I believe the name of school is American Sailing Academy.
Old 11-06-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brezzin View Post
I figure that you sail out of New London based on the avatar pic.
OMG, how did I not see that? Thank you merttan, for that pic! I grew up a long stones throw from that lighthouse. Now I feel even worse about my curt reply yesterday! So, some details about Sound Sailing: they have a small fleet (~6-8, IIRC) of Ensigns (and some larger boats, but they use the Ensigns for the classes), they're kept up well, and the instructors were great. They have a membership-type arrangement (after taking classes) that allows you to take the boats out, and we never had trouble getting a reservation in, even on a Thursday for a sat or sun slot. Norwalk harbor is tricky, which I consider a great plus - tacking back and forth in open water is nice and all, but doing it from the very first while having to learn coastal piloting or navigational skills at the same time is an invaluable experience (IMO). I've heard (one of the previous threads I mentioned) that it's not an 'easy' school, which to my way of thinking would be high praise indeed, considering the potential dangers of this sport. It's also not the cheapest, but if you look into the details I'm pretty sure they give more time on the water, which is a good thing, no?
One anecdote that I think is telling: for our second (or third) session on the water, the owner of the school tags along, and has us deliberately run aground so we can practice getting off. I couldn't (and still have trouble) believe that he'd risk damage to the boat for our education. 'Over and above' IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 11-10-2007

Smile Thanks everyone

Thank you very much for the information... I should've asked the question like "the schools you'd recommend" but you've got my point anyways...

I was docked at Old Saybrook for the first half of the season then moved back to Groton. CT river is really good to learn manuevering with or against the current in short distances. Fishers Island has a really protective sound for beginners like me and my wife.

I have a sailing background (I used to sail dingies myself and had sailed a 44 footer as a crewmember back on Mediterrenean) so I have the basic idea. She has a powerboat background but still trying to figure out how to react to sails when she is at the rudder

She wants to learn it and I want to refresh myself since it's been awhile.

Thanks again, I'll let you guys know how it's going...

Old 11-18-2007

roxbury is on a distinguished road
I, too, attended the Sound Sailing Center in Norwalk. My previous experience was with my Sunfish, and I had not set foot in a sail boat for about 10 years, prior to my first lesson this past July. Getting certified was more difficult than expected. I failed my first test with good reason. The school was supportive, though. They provided additional training, and I past the second time out. The instruction is excellent, and the Ensign 23s are limited to only 3 students at a time. I subsequently joined their sailing club and never had a problem reserving a boat. The staff is great.