SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

learning to sail/sailing simulator?

9K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Slayer 
#1 ·
any good sailing simulators for pc?

#3 · (Edited)
Get a Boat not a PC

I not want to put down a simulator. They can help give some good learning.
First I would like to share a little about myself in hopes it help people understand me personally. I first set sail on a little 24' something my brother had. Long, long time ago (1972, for the women here I am not old, I am 35 and been 35 for 15 years) ;) . The boat had a little 9.9 HP. I had a little supervision on that thing sticking up in the air (It was not an antenna) and how to put on those bed sheets things. My brother said; "If, you get into trouble, drop the sheets and use the engine"! :eek: It looked hard to start to me, so, I set sail and spent a week on a lake and never used the engine except to come into the dock. Off and on that summer I was on the Boat often. Being an unemployed teenager, I had lots of time. Close to the end of summer, we trailered the boat to the Gulf and I went into the abyss alone. I went until there was no land in sight. It was nice weather and the little boat did well. For the conditions. The next summer he let me and a buddy take his 30' into the Gulf. :p
I have a CD a friend gave me. It was fun to play with, still have it somewhere. I really not care much for those. Remind me of the Kids today playing motocross racer on their video games. I tell them, dang, when I was your age I bought a real trail bike 350 and road for real on the trails. I just can not see a computer giving me what actual hands on experience will. Nothing like getting hit in the head with a Boom Pole a seeing stars during the day. Not only will you never do it again, you will not let it happen to any of your passengers either (though there been a few I wish I never told them :eek: ). I not remember the year, one day I decided; "I not need an engine, I think I can get off this dock with my sails". I explained my intentions and everyone was more than willing to move their boats to a safe distance and drink a few beers during the show. This was a frustrating disaster that eventually lead to my starting the engine :( But, I knew in my heart I could do this. In defeat I felt this was best left to when I was older and there was no one around to laugh at me. Later in years a man gave me a book and said you never can learn enough. The book was "The Annapolis Book of Seamanship". I still have this book. It cover basics in many areas. Mine is old and not cover some of the new GPS stuff. But, it showed me how to get my Boat off the dock, with my sails! :D It also, got me more interested in knowing about weather.
So, check out this book for something cheap and kick back in the recliner. You can find them on the Internet and I have bought some for friends off of Amazon. "The Annapolis Book of Seamanship".
I not been on long enough to post links, maybe I can give enough.
The other place I send people wanting to get free information on-line is;
expertvillage.com/interviews/sailing-lessons.htm
Now I not say they the best, I not say send money or anything. But, there some good free stuff. My idea is, read what free, and discern what work for you.
National Geographic has a "VERY" simple on-line simulator. I send children there for something simple to start with. But, it can probably help anyone get some concept of sailing.
nationalgeographic.com/volvooceanrace/interactives/sailing/index.html
Well, this the best I can do. I know if we not close to water, sometimes the real thing not work and we have to do what we have to do. I wish you the best and hope I helped a little. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.