Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Sailing lesson recommendations-Seattle area

Can anyone give me some recommendations for sailing lessons for my wife in the Seattle to Anacortes area. She wants to go through a formal class with the goal being to be able to handle our 40' boat. She has sailed with me for years but never really had any interest in doing more than steering and helping with the sheets and winches when tacking.
Now she would like to start at the beginning and be able to do everything (except the bosun chair, no interest in going up the mast). I'd teach her but she probably wants to learn from someone that knows what they are doing:-))
Thanks in advance for any info. on good classes, John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2008
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
I would recommend Windworks Sailing from personal experience. I found the instructors there to be top notch. I believe that she would have to do everything starting from basic keelboat up to bareboat to there there, which is a lot of hours of instruction. But they take you through slowly and deliberately. One thing to note is that it is US Sailing certification not ASA. But I prefer them anyway, even if they aren't as prevalent. I looked at the ASA course, it looks pretty identical to the USSailing one.

The nice thing about Windworks is they have an active ladies sailing 'club' that does stuff, very good for females to get out on the water with other ladies and no men.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-14-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Darn it !

There was a write up in Lattitude 48 or some other rag about 6 OR 8 months ago talking just about this. I thought it would be good for my wife too, I dont think it was as formal a school as mentioned above.
I am sorry I cant remember but you might try a back surch of the mags. I can tell you for certian that it was in one of the free mags. you pick up at marinias though maybe Northwet Yachting.

PS; I hope I dont have to wait for years for my wife to get more into it though!
Old 01-14-2008
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
48 North's sailing school directory, look for all women offerings (latitude sailing is one, there are others).
Women of Windworks program.
for offshore sailing there is Tethy's

You might post in the womens section and see if anyone has had experience with any of these or others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-14-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
San Juan sailing IIRC has a all womens 1 weekend or a week once or twice a yr in about June or July. That program sells out fast! I saw it lst yr in the 48N yearly listing of schools, and it was sold out before the article came out IIRC. My wife had thought about that one. There is also a fellow in Everett that does class's. I know a couple of people that have done that one.
Neptune sailing club in Kirkland is another. Not sure how good they are today, I took lessons as a teenager in the 70's thru them via the Kirkland parks dept.

There is a dryland class Feb 23rd at north seattle comm college put on by Lattitude sailing that tenuki linked above. Spouse plans to be there again this yr. Luved the program last yr.

Marty
Old 01-14-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Thanks very much for the leads, she hasn't decided whether she wants all female classes or not, still debating. Good suggestions everyone, appreciate it. I should try a post in Her sailing, good idea. By the time we get done working on the boat every weekend she might give up boating altogether if I'm not careful! We both wake up Monday mornings sore and tired, but we got all the deck hardware off and chainplates out and started tearing off the teak, so we're making progress. Hope to splash in a couple months.

Thanks again all, John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse