Old 02-29-2008

TomScanlan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Try this for the tiller:
http://www.davisnet.com/product_docu...TllrTmrINS.PDF

And try this in your track and on the bolt rope to make things go easier:
McLube Sailkote Dry Lubricant for Marine Environments
I'm a fan of sailkote. It made the sliding hatch over the companionway so much friendlier. No more grunting and squealing, just push with a finger.

as for the tiller helper, That's pretty much what I was talking about, except that I'll just do it with what I have on hand. No need to spend cash if I can avoid it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-29-2008

TomScanlan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Tom-

It does get easier with practice. I hope you have jacklines, a harness and tether installed on the boat, since you're single handing. The primary thing about single handing is to stay on the boat.

BTW, just be aware that the cockpit lazarette locker really needs to be dogged shut when you're sailing a J/24. The lazarette locker, if it isn't dogged shut, can downflood in a broach or when heeled excessively, and fill with enough water to sink a J/24. It is a fairly common cause of J/24's sinking.
I didn't tie in that day, but I will be in the future.

As for the j/24 tipping and swamping. I do keep the lockers locked, and the hatches closed. And, you may find this humorous... but I've been saving and storing 2-liter bottles in all the unused space below deck. I also bought a great used air mattress to sleep on, rather than foam (a steal at 8 bucks). I don't have 33 cubic feet filled up (enough to counter the j/24 weight) with these free flotation devices yet, but I may get there
Old 03-02-2008

tjaldur is on a distinguished road
In my opinion you should not hesitate about some sort of autopilot/selfsteeringsystem, if you want to sail alone. Not only for handling the sails, but for also for being able to respond to different sort of calls of nature, whether it concerns output or input. You may need food or something warm to drink.

From time to time you will need both hands for the compass or charts or other functions concerning dead reckoning. Having an autopilot is almost better than a crew member (it does not crave sleep or beer).

With an autopilot you set the course directly in the winds eye and let the engine run at a speed to balance the wind and you have all the time in the world to handle your sails.
Old 03-02-2008

oooops, almost forgot. Never, ever do anything on deck whatsoever without being connected to you boat with a line.
Old 03-02-2008

DebCon is on a distinguished road
Tom,
Good going on your solo. It's the start of an entirely different level of sailing. I bought my a Pearson 26 in San Diego last year and one of my first year goals was to sail solo. You're absolutely right about in and out of the slip. The boats aft of me are very expensive and starbord of them is a sailing school I have to pass every time I come and go. Fortunately haven't given them anything to snicker about. Reverse is your friend! Very helpful for stopping forward momentum. Also using both the tiller and engine to stear is much tighter. The first few times I went out were dedicated to using only main or only jib. This helped in working out individual details without exponantilly (spelling?) complicating my head trip. I assume that once a tack is completed you prepare your lazy sheet well before the next tack.
When friends come out now they are welcome to do as much as they want but in the end it's like a ballet to me and I do my dance.
Enjoy,
Deborah
Pearson 26 #1396
HONU KAI
San Diego
Old 03-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
How about stepping off onto the dock... shouldn't have a tether on doing that.... makes getting to the bar difficult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjaldur View Post
oooops, almost forgot. Never, ever do anything on deck whatsoever without being connected to you boat with a line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-03-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-03-2008

Always keep an auxiliary line long enough to let you reach the bar (and find the way back to your boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.